UPDATE: Fire Destroys One Room In Spokane Apartment Fire - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

UPDATE: Fire Destroys One Room In Spokane Apartment Fire

Posted: Updated:

SPOKANE, Wash. - Fire crews responded to a fire Friday morning just after 7AM at the O'Malley Apartments at 707 E. Mission. Five people were transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation but they are expected to be okay. Crews were able to contain the fire to one room but that room was completely destroyed.

The entire building was evacuated to check for carbon monoxide levels. Some of the elderly residents needed assistance during the evacuation because they are unable to walk on their own.

Firefighter resources were stretched pretty thin during this fire because of a technical rescue that was happening simultaneously from an industrial accident on East Trent, so fire crews responded from stations in Spokane Valley, Downtown Spokane and the North side.

PRESS RELEASE FROM THE SPOKANE FIRE DEPT:

Narrative:
On Friday October 4, 2013 at 07:14 AM, 5 Engine companies under the direction of AC Schaeffer responded to a reported commercial building fire at 707 East Mission Avenue, the O'Malley Apartments (the O'Mally apartments are located in the Gonzaga neighborhood and have 99 one-bedroom units that are handicapped accessible).
 
The incident was dispatched simultaneously as the early morning technical rescue in the Purina Plant (4714 East Trent) and a cardiac arrest, which exhausted the majority of the City's resources.

The first unit on-scene arrived within six-minutes and reported a four-story apartment building with smoke showing from the third story balcony on the Mission Avenue side. Immediately upon arriving, the Chief noted that occupants had escaped the heavy smoke and took refuge on the third-story balcony and were waiting to be rescued.    
 
The first engine arrived minutes later and made contact with the occupants waiting on the third floor balcony, made sure the door behind them was closed and reassured them they were safe. 

Immediately after making contact with the residents they entered the building, secured the stairwell and made their way to the third floor with tools and equipment to fight the fire. Additional arriving companies were assigned backup the first engine, supported the building's standpipe system and begin searching for victims.

The toxic smoke on the third floor was reported to be banked down to just a few feet from the floor and the decision was made to shelter most residents in place on the third floor and evacuate the ones on floors two and one (to avoiding removing at-risk residents into the smoke-filled hallways and stairwells).  

The incident was upgraded immediately to a working fire and modified to include an MCI (mass casualty incident) response. Mutual aid resources from Spokane Valley Fire Department, six ambulances from AMR with management, STA with a bus and Spokane Police Department with traffic officers were brought to the scene to assist with the numerous patients and the influx of traffic due to the beginning of the school day for nearby St. Aloysius Gonzaga School. 
 
It took 25 Firefighters and 12 AMR employees just over one-hour to completely extinguish and overhaul the fire, evacuate the residents to safe areas of refuge on the first floor and medically evaluate/treat seven residents and a facility employee with various levels of smoke inhalation.  No firefighters were injured in the process of mitigating the incident.

Cause:
The nature was determined to be accidental and cause was a laundry basket left on an electric stovetop that had been accidentally turned on. The fire spread vertically to cabinets and combustibles throughout the unit.

Damage:
Damage was limited to the unit of origin, however smoke damage throughout the third floor hallway.  he concrete construction and a maintenance worker's attempts to keep the fire contained aided in keeping the fire's damage limited to the unit.

# Firefighters Responding: 25

Dollar Loss: $ 5000

Other Agencies Responding: Fire District 1, Spokane Police Department,

HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Local father dies in fiery crash after purchasing daughter's Christmas gifts

    Local father dies in fiery crash after purchasing daughter's Christmas gifts

    Monday, December 11 2017 12:02 AM EST2017-12-11 05:02:49 GMT
    Selkirk Fire Rescue & EMSSelkirk Fire Rescue & EMS

    PRIEST RIVER, Idaho - A local father is dead after a fiery crash in North Idaho Friday night. Loved ones said the man had just purchased Christmas presents for his little girl before the horrific wreck. Idaho State Police said 29-year-old Andrew Blum and his 32-year-old passenger were driving near Dufort Road when Blum lost control of his car. They said he flipped it into a ditch, and then the vehicle caught on fire. Blum was rushed to 

    More >>

    PRIEST RIVER, Idaho - A local father is dead after a fiery crash in North Idaho Friday night. Loved ones said the man had just purchased Christmas presents for his little girl before the horrific wreck. Idaho State Police said 29-year-old Andrew Blum and his 32-year-old passenger were driving near Dufort Road when Blum lost control of his car. They said he flipped it into a ditch, and then the vehicle caught on fire. Blum was rushed to 

    More >>
  • Rescued dogs from a Benewah County home ready to find forever homes

    Rescued dogs from a Benewah County home ready to find forever homes

    Sunday, December 10 2017 9:10 PM EST2017-12-11 02:10:17 GMT

    COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - A small pack of dogs that were found in bad shape have a new leash on life after getting rescued. Back in October, a group rescued dogs from a home in Benewah County. When they were found, rescuers say the dogs were hungry, malnourished, and neglected. They also found one dog dead on the property. But now two months later, the adult dogs and puppies have made a lot of progress and are now ready to find their forever homes. The rescue groups teamed up and...

    More >>

    COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - A small pack of dogs that were found in bad shape have a new leash on life after getting rescued. Back in October, a group rescued dogs from a home in Benewah County. When they were found, rescuers say the dogs were hungry, malnourished, and neglected. They also found one dog dead on the property. But now two months later, the adult dogs and puppies have made a lot of progress and are now ready to find their forever homes. The rescue groups teamed up and...

    More >>
  • Homeless man who gave away last dollars to stranded woman buys home

    Homeless man who gave away last dollars to stranded woman buys home

    Sunday, December 10 2017 8:53 PM EST2017-12-11 01:53:22 GMT

    PHILADELPHIA - After a fundraising campaign went viral last month, a homeless Marine veteran now has a roof over his head. Johnny Bobbitt Jr. used his last $20 to fill up the gas tank of stranded motorist Kate McClure, 27, of Florence Township, New Jersey. McClure had run out of gas on a highway exit ramp late at night so Bobbitt walked a few blocks to get gas.

    More >>

    PHILADELPHIA - After a fundraising campaign went viral last month, a homeless Marine veteran now has a roof over his head. Johnny Bobbitt Jr. used his last $20 to fill up the gas tank of stranded motorist Kate McClure, 27, of Florence Township, New Jersey. McClure had run out of gas on a highway exit ramp late at night so Bobbitt walked a few blocks to get gas.

    More >>