YAKIMA, WA. -- New information about an apartment fire that killed a man in Yakima. Disturbing images are left in one man's mind after he called 9-1-1.
The fire started at 4 a.m. Monday morning in unit 202 of the Starlighter apartment complex on Browne Avenue.
The flames were so intense and the smoke so thick that firefighters could not save a man who was later found dead in the living room after the fire was put out.
William Floyd ran out of his apartment down the hall when he smelled smoke. He says he saw an image that he will never forget.
"A guy was pounding on the window trying to get out," William said. "So I ran back in my house, I was going to try to throw something through to break the window to get him out, but I called 9-1-1."
Other neighbors tell me the man that lived in the apartment was somewhat of a drifter and had been homeless before this.
All of the serious damage from the fire was miraculously contained to that one apartment thanks to concrete walls. The fire caused $80,000 worth of damage and will take an estimated 3 months to clean up.
William says he regrets not being able to do more for the man who died in this terrible fire.