Can You Fail A Drug Test After Inhaling Secondhand Smoke? - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Can You Fail A Drug Test After Inhaling Secondhand Smoke?

Posted: Updated:
SPOKANE, Wash. -

Since the passage of Initiative 502 legalizing the recreational use of Marijuana many have asked the question. Recently KHQ was contacted by a viewer who lives in a North Spokane apartment complex. Her job mandates she submit to random drug testing. In her apartment, her neighbors she says smoke marijuana frequently and she smells the strong odor through her windows, vents even hallways.

KHQ set out to see if secondhand marijuana smoke could in fact make you fail a drug test.

According to Dr. Paula Lantsberger with Occupational Medical Associates a drug testing facility in Spokane she says the chances are "minuscule." According to drug testing regulations she says a person can have up to 15-nanograms of THC in their system before they are considered to have failed most drug tests.

Lantsberger says "casual use, walking by an apartment, the ventilation, sharing in between the apartment, it should not put anyone over the cutoff of 15 nanograms". Lantsberger also says it would need to be a "real extreme smoke exposure" to fail a drug test. So could you fail a test being around secondhand smoke? The answer is likely "no" according to experts.

In 2012, Occupational Medical Associates in Spokane saw 291 "failed" or positive drug tests for THC. Since the passage of I-502 the clinic has seen 519 "failed" or positive tests in 2013.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • South Hill man gives deputy ride to chase down suspect on the run

    South Hill man gives deputy ride to chase down suspect on the run

    Saturday, September 23 2017 2:10 AM EDT2017-09-23 06:10:59 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane County Sheriff's Deputies are calling a 79-year-old man a hero for stepping in to help a deputy when he suddenly needed it.   That deputy tried stopping a driver on the South Hill after noticing the car didn't have license plates.     It started a chase that ended with the help from a very unlikely place. For Paul Eminger, it was a case of being in the right place at the right time. Seeing a Sheriff's Deputy running after 

    More >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane County Sheriff's Deputies are calling a 79-year-old man a hero for stepping in to help a deputy when he suddenly needed it.   That deputy tried stopping a driver on the South Hill after noticing the car didn't have license plates.     It started a chase that ended with the help from a very unlikely place. For Paul Eminger, it was a case of being in the right place at the right time. Seeing a Sheriff's Deputy running after 

    More >>
  • Fire Marshal: Fireplace sparked fatal fire at Idaho cabin

    Fire Marshal: Fireplace sparked fatal fire at Idaho cabin

    Saturday, September 23 2017 2:09 AM EDT2017-09-23 06:09:41 GMT
    Fire Marshal: Fireplace sparked fatal fire at Idaho cabinFire Marshal: Fireplace sparked fatal fire at Idaho cabin

    BOISE, Idaho (AP) - The Idaho state fire marshal says an explosion in a fireplace caused a fire that consumed a house and killed four people. Knute Sandahl said Thursday the explosion, which occurred June 30 at Tamarack Resort, was ruled accidental. Sandahl says the fireplace on the main floor of the home was converted from propane-fueled to wood-burning in 2015. During the conversion to wood, the propane line that fed the fireplace was 

    More >>

    BOISE, Idaho (AP) - The Idaho state fire marshal says an explosion in a fireplace caused a fire that consumed a house and killed four people. Knute Sandahl said Thursday the explosion, which occurred June 30 at Tamarack Resort, was ruled accidental. Sandahl says the fireplace on the main floor of the home was converted from propane-fueled to wood-burning in 2015. During the conversion to wood, the propane line that fed the fireplace was 

    More >>
  • Local man creates system to keep guns safe from kids

    Local man creates system to keep guns safe from kids

    Friday, September 22 2017 9:59 PM EDT2017-09-23 01:59:50 GMT

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - "My name is Dylan Ervin, I'm a competitive shooter, a business owner, a husband and a father of two," Dylan Ervin said in a promotional video. He's re-inventing the way we lock up our guns. Ervin has been hard at work for the last four years creating the StopBox. "It's for the in-between point for when your firearm isn't in your holster or in your gun safe," Ervin said. The StopBox acts as a barrier, similar to a tumbler 

    More >>

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - "My name is Dylan Ervin, I'm a competitive shooter, a business owner, a husband and a father of two," Dylan Ervin said in a promotional video. He's re-inventing the way we lock up our guns. Ervin has been hard at work for the last four years creating the StopBox. "It's for the in-between point for when your firearm isn't in your holster or in your gun safe," Ervin said. The StopBox acts as a barrier, similar to a tumbler 

    More >>