AT&T Waves Fees for Customers Contacting PhilippinesPosted: Updated:
WASHINGTON - AT&T is making it easier for customers in the United States to connect with their loved ones in the Philippines following the typhoon that devastated part of the country last week.
For the rest of November, the wireless network will not charge postpaid customers for the following calling and texting services.
· International long distance usage for calls placed from an AT&T wireless number in the U.S., Puerto Rico, and U.S.V.I. to the Philippines.
· Text messages to the Philippines, originated from an AT&T wireless number in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S.V.I.
For any of the above activity, AT&T says customers will see no charges reflected on their monthly statement for the period November 8 through November 30, 2013.
For AT&T wireline and U-verse Voice customers, the phone company is also waiving charges up to 60 minutes for direct dial calling to the Philippines. AT&T says customers will either see no charges for these calls reflected on their monthly statement, or they will receive a credit in a later statement.
"We want to help our customers connect with loved ones in the Philippines in any way we can," said Mark Collins, senior vice president, Data and Voice Products, AT&T Mobility. "Connecting with family and friends is most important at times like this and we want to make it as easy and worry free as possible for our customers."
AT&T is also making a $25,000 contribution to AmeriCares, an organization that has been providing medical and humanitarian aid to the Philippines for nearly 30 years. The AmieriCares Emergency Response Team is in the Philippines and working with its partner organizations to oversee the distribution of medicines and supplies that can help treat 20,000 people.
If AT&T customers would like to make donations to the disaster relief, they can text "AID" to the codes listed below. Each donation will cost the customer $10 (for the $10 donation) but no text message fees will apply.
· Text AID to 50555 to give a $10 donation to Operation USA
· Text AID to 80077 to give $10 to HOPE Worldwide
· Text AID to 27722 to give $10 to World Food Program USA
· Text AID to 80108 to give $10 The mGive Foundation Philippines Typhoon Relief Fund (U.S. State Department Campaign)