SLUGGISH START: Only 26,794 Signed Up For Federal Obamacare Plan - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

SLUGGISH START: Only 26,794 Signed Up For Federal Obamacare Plans, Officials Say

Posted: Updated:

NBCNEWS.COM - Only 26,000 people managed to buy health insurance on Healthcare.gov in October, the first month the website was open, the Health and Human Services Department said Wednesday.

But more than 106,000 have made it through the process on both the state and federal websites, and most just have a few steps more to make the final purchase, HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius says. And as many as half a million look like they will have either private health insurance or new Medicaid coverage in 2014.

The federal government has been playing down expectations for how many people will have signed up so far, but the numbers released on Wednesday. The long-awaited figures show that 26,794 people bought health insurance on the federal website, covering 36 states. Another 79,391 bought policies on state-run websites.

"Enrollment includes those who have selected a plan who either have or have not yet paid the first month's premium," HHS said.

HealthCare.gov, the centerpiece of health reform efforts under the 2010 Affordable Care Act, fell apart as soon as it went live on Oct. 1. It's supposed to be a seamless, online system to allow people to comparison shop for health insurance policies, checking right away to see if they qualify for a generous federal government subsidy to buy a plan.

Several different approved government contractors put together parts of the system and when it went online, the parts didn't work together. The result: Hardly anyone managed to sign up, critics said "I told you so" and Congress has launched several investigations into what went wrong.

The administration has agreed over and over that the site is unacceptably flawed. Asked whether it would be working as promised on November 30, White House Chief Technology Officer Todd Park said not to expect a flawless performance. "The goal that has been laid out is not for the site to be perfect by Nov. 30," Park told a House Oversight Committee hearing earlier on Wednesday. . It should, however, work smoothly for the "vast majority" of users.

  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • Fallen Hero Banner Project Denied From Marching In Seafair Torchlight Parade

    Fallen Hero Banner Project Denied From Marching In Seafair Torchlight Parade

    Sunday, April 20 2014 2:32 PM EDT2014-04-20 18:32:42 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - This year the Fallen Hero Banner project, which honors men and women from Washington who have died serving our country, applied to march in the Seafair Torchlight Parade in Seattle. However, the organization was denied by the parade selection committee via email saying, "the Fallen Hero Banner Project was not the right fit for the Torchlight Parade."More >>
    SPOKANE, Wash. - This year the Fallen Hero Banner project, which honors men and women from Washington who have died serving our country, applied to march in the Seafair Torchlight Parade in Seattle. However, the organization was denied by the parade selection committee via email saying, "the Fallen Hero Banner Project was not the right fit for the Torchlight Parade."More >>
  • Grand Coulee Fishing Spot Closed Since 9/11 Opens

    Grand Coulee Fishing Spot Closed Since 9/11 Opens

    Sunday, April 20 2014 2:29 PM EDT2014-04-20 18:29:06 GMT
    GRAND COULEE, Wash. (AP) - A popular fishing spot below the Grand Coulee Dam has reopened for the first time since the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.The area on Rufus Woods Lake from Highway 155 to the base of the dam is considered one of the best fishing spots on the upper Columbia River.It had been closed due to security concerns ever since 9/11.More >>
    GRAND COULEE, Wash. (AP) - A popular fishing spot below the Grand Coulee Dam has reopened for the first time since the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.The area on Rufus Woods Lake from Highway 155 to the base of the dam is considered one of the best fishing spots on the upper Columbia River.It had been closed due to security concerns ever since 9/11.
    More >>
  • Utah Man Arrested In Child Enticement Sting In Idaho

    Utah Man Arrested In Child Enticement Sting In Idaho

    Sunday, April 20 2014 2:26 PM EDT2014-04-20 18:26:18 GMT
    CALDWELL, Idaho (AP) - Idaho prosecutors have charged a Utah man with felony child enticement after he allegedly arranged to meet an undercover officer representing himself online as a 15-year-old girl.Allen B. Johnson was arrested Friday afternoon at the Caldwell restaurant where authorities said the 48-year-old Provo man was to meet who he thought was the teenager.More >>
    CALDWELL, Idaho (AP) - Idaho prosecutors have charged a Utah man with felony child enticement after he allegedly arranged to meet an undercover officer representing himself online as a 15-year-old girl.Allen B. Johnson was arrested Friday afternoon at the Caldwell restaurant where authorities said the 48-year-old Provo man was to meet who he thought was the teenager.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.