OBAMACARE: Policy Cancellations: Obama Will Allow Old Plans - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

OBAMACARE: Policy Cancellations: Obama Will Allow Old Plans

Posted: Updated:
President Obama addressing reporters about Obamacare on Thursday President Obama addressing reporters about Obamacare on Thursday

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Barack Obama says health insurance companies can continue to sell policies canceled under his health care law for at least one more year to existing customers.
    
Obama is trying to head off a political furor created by a wave of cancellation notices hitting people who buy their coverage individually, as well as some small businesses. Their current plans don't meet requirements of the new health care law.
    
White House officials say a letter going out to state insurance commissioners will specify that current plans sold to existing customers will not be considered out of compliance with the health care law in 2014.
    
While the administration is granting new flexibility, it remains to be seen if state regulators and insurance companies will exercise the option.

Obama: 'We fumbled health care' law rollout

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Barack Obama says his administration "fumbled the rollout" of his signature health care law.
    
Obama is taking responsibility for problems with the launch of the program. He says, quote, "That's on me."
    
Obama says it's legitimate for Americans to expect him to have to win back some credibility on the health care law and in general.
    
The president acknowledges his assertion that Americans who like their health plan could keep it, in his words, "ended up not being accurate." He says that wasn't his intention.
    
Obama says he wasn't informed directly that the Healthcare.gov website wouldn't be working, and wouldn't have rolled it out if he did. He says he wouldn't have been "stupid enough" to say it was going to be like shopping on Amazon had he known.

PREVIOUS STORY:

KHQ.COM - President Barack Obama says health insurance companies can continue to sell policies canceled under his health care law for at least one more year to existing customers.
    
Obama is trying to head off a political furor created by a wave of cancellation notices hitting people who buy their coverage individually, as well as some small businesses. Their current plans don't meet requirements of the new health care law.
    
White House officials say a letter going out to state insurance commissioners will specify that current plans sold to existing customers will not be considered out of compliance with the health care law in 2014.
    
While the administration is granting new flexibility, it remains to be seen if state regulators and insurance companies will exercise the option.

PREVIOUS STORY:

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Barack Obama is expected to announce a fix Thursday for people losing their health insurance under his signature law.
    
The White House says Obama will make a late-morning statement from the briefing room.
    
The president has come under pressure from fellow Democrats to address the cancellations.
    
Millions of people have received cancellation notices, despite Obama's repeated pledges that people who liked their insurance plans could keep them.

Obama To Allow Sale Of Canceled Plans

WASHINGTON (AP) - A Democratic official says President Barack Obama has decided to allow the sale of canceled individual health insurance policies to existing customers, part of a plan to satisfy public discontent with "Obamacare."
   
Obama set a late morning White House announcement.
   
The official said the administration's one-year plan is to let insurers continue to offer plans that had been canceled because they did not meet coverage standards under the health care law.
   
The official says insurance companies must also notify policyholders that alternatives exist under Obama's health care program, and have to describe the areas in which their own plans fall short of coverage requirements in the law.
   
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because this person lacked authority to speak publicly ahead of a formal announcement.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • UPDATE: Suspect In Custody After Stealing Sheriff's Patrol Car

    UPDATE: Suspect In Custody After Stealing Sheriff's Patrol Car

    Thursday, April 24 2014 11:04 PM EDT2014-04-25 03:04:39 GMT
    A man stole a Sheriff Deputy's patrol car after a failed attempt to steal another car near 57th and RegalA man stole a Sheriff Deputy's patrol car after a failed attempt to steal another car near 57th and Regal
    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane County Sheriff's Deputies, including Air-1, were searching for a man who stole one of their patrol cars Thursday evening near 57th and Regal. More >>
    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane County Sheriff's Deputies, including Air-1, were searching for a man who stole one of their patrol cars Thursday evening near 57th and Regal. It all began after a man came out of the McKenzie River Pizza to find someone trying to steal his car. The owner of the car tried to stop the thief, and the thief actually pepper sprayed him. A Sheriff's deputy showed up and somehow the thief ended up stealing the deputy's car.More >>
  • Bar Bouncer Shot, Says Suspects Were There To Make Trouble

    Bar Bouncer Shot, Says Suspects Were There To Make Trouble

    Thursday, April 24 2014 6:37 PM EDT2014-04-24 22:37:44 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - KHQ's Dylan Wohlenhaus spoke with the 44-year-old bouncer Todd Stone. Stone says that he's worked at Lions Lair bar for two and a half years and has never had a "bruise" or a "scratch" from dealing with unruly patrons in his time working there. Thursday morning was different he says. More >>
    SPOKANE, Wash. - KHQ's Dylan Wohlenhaus spoke with the 44-year-old bouncer Todd Stone. Stone says that he's worked at Lions Lair bar for two and a half years and has never had a "bruise" or a "scratch" from dealing with unruly patrons in his time working there. Thursday morning was different he says. More >>
  • WA State Loses $40 Million In Education Funds For Failing To Meet A Federal Government Requirement

    WA State Loses $40 Million In Education Funds For Failing To Meet A Federal Government Requirement

    Thursday, April 24 2014 5:57 PM EDT2014-04-24 21:57:33 GMT
    SEATTLE (AP) - Washington state has lost its education accountability waiver from the federal government. State education officials say they received an email on Thursday saying they were losing the waiver because the state did not meet the U.S. Department of Education's requirement to include statewide student test results in teacher evaluations.More >>
    SEATTLE (AP) - Washington state has lost its education accountability waiver from the federal government. State education officials say they received an email on Thursday saying they were losing the waiver because the state did not meet the U.S. Department of Education's requirement to include statewide student test results in teacher evaluations.
    More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.