UPDATE: Death Toll Rises to 8 after Tornadoes Rip Through the Mi - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

UPDATE: Death Toll Rises to 8 after Tornadoes Rip Through the Midwest

Posted: Updated:

UPDATE (11/18/13): DETROIT - Officials have confirmed two storm-related deaths in Michigan, raising the toll to eight from the heavy rain, powerful winds and tornadoes that formed across the region.

According to the Shiawassee County Sheriff's department, 59-year-old Philip Daniel Smith of Perry in central Michigan was found dead and entangled in high-voltage power wires after going outside late Sunday to investigate a noise.

Also in central Michigan, Jackson County Sheriff's deputies say 21-year-old Ryan Allan Rickman of Leslie died when his vehicle was crushed by a fallen tree Sunday evening.

A band of storms moved across the Midwest on Sunday, unleashing powerful winds that flattened homes and left cars, trees and belongings strewn across neighborhoods.

Officials say the storms also killed six people in Illinois.


CHICAGO (AP) - It's a day people in the Midwest may never forget.

Dozens of tornadoes and intense thunderstorms have swept across the region, causing extensive damage in several central Illinois communities, killing at least three people and prompting officials at Chicago's Soldier Field to evacuate the stands and delay the Bears game.
In southern Illinois, the Washington County coroner says an elderly man and his sister were killed when a tornado hit their home around noon in the rural community of New Minden. And an Illinois Emergency Management Agency spokeswoman says a third person died in Washington.
With communications difficult and many roads impassable, it remains unclear how many people were killed or hurt by the string of tornadoes. The Illinois National Guard says it has dispatched 10 firefighters and three vehicles to Washington to assist with immediate search and recovery operations.
About 90 minutes after the tornado destroyed homes in Washington, the storm darkened downtown Chicago. As the rain and high winds slammed into the area, officials at Soldier Field evacuated the stands and ordered the Bears and Baltimore Ravens off the field. The game resumed after about a two-hour delay.