No Fire at Columbia Center Mall, Just Overheated Fan - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

No Fire at Columbia Center Mall, Just Overheated Fan

Posted: Updated:

KENNEWICK, WA - The City of Kennewick says what some people thought was a fire at the Columbia Center Mall turned out to be just a smoking fan. 

Firefighters from Kennewick, Richland, and Benton County responded to the mall on Sunday night after reports of a possible fire at Angelina's.

The city says people inside the business evacuated when they smelled smoke coming from the ceiling.  

The city says firefighter worked with the mall's security and maintenance staff and learned there wasn't a fire. Instead the problem turned out to be a bearing on an HVAC fan that had seized and caused the drive belt to slip, heat up, and cause the smoke.  

The city says the smoke didn't cause any damage, so the shop went back to business as usual.  Columbia Center Mall maintenance staff members are working to repair the HVAC unit.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/