NBC Right Now is working to learn more about a fire in Yakima on S 3rd Street that has devastated several families according to Yakima Fire Battalion Chief Tom Sevigny.
The early morning blaze set flame to homes around 7:20 Saturday morning. Crews worked hard to protect buildings on each side of a 2 story home. After searching the building it was discovered that everyone made it out of the fire. Extinguishing the flames took hours because of the older design of the home which allowed fire to travel inside walls and into the attic spaces. Electrical lines involved in the fire also created a difficult scene for crews to enter.
No resident was injured, but one firefighter was injured in fighting the flames but refused to be transported to the hospital.
The probable cause of the fire according to Yakima Fire officials was bedding placed too close to an electric heater that was being used by an extension cord. One person woke up when their bed caught fire.