Kitchen Fire Damages Kennewick House - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Kitchen Fire Damages Kennewick House

Posted: Updated:

KENNEWICK, WA - The Kennewick Fire Department wants you to make sure your appliances are off and away from heat sources when you leave the house.

Firefighters say a home on the 5000 block of West 18th Avenue caught fire Sunday night of last week. 

Firefighters say the flames began near the stove, and then spread to the attic while the people living there were briefly away. 

Crews had to cut two holes in the roof to relieve the pressurized smoke at the home. They were able to divert the fire up and outside, allowing other firefighters to pull a hose line through the front door and contain the fire to the kitchen hood above the stove. 

No one got hurt, but investigators say the attic area above the garage has some damages, and the rest of the house has smoke residue. 

Firefighters say the owners will be able to live in the house again after some interior repairs.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/