Yakima Fire Department: Structure Fire 11/30/2013 - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Yakima Fire Department: Structure Fire 11/30/2013

Posted: Updated:
Name of Office Issuing Release
  Tom Sevigny, Battalion Chief
Date of Incident
Time of Incident
  07:10 am
Type of Incident
  Structure Fire
Address of Incident
  300 BLOCK S 3rd ST
Yakima, Washington 98901
United States
Map It
  An early morning blaze devastated several Yakima Families. At 0720 hrs Yakima Firefighters responded to a structure fire in the 300 block of S 3rd St. While responding a heavy smoke column indicated to firefighters that they had a working fire.

First arriving crews found heavy fire coming from three sides of a 2 story wood frame residential structure. Structures on all three sides of the fire building were threatened. Initial indications were that all occupants had exited the building. A eventual search of the structure confirmed that all occupants had escaped.

Making an aggressive attack firefighters protected the buildings on each side while other firefighters attacked the main body of fire. Crews entering the structure encountered heavy fire conditions throughout the interior. Electrical lines involved in the fire contributed to a difficult scene preventing firefighters from extinguishing certain areas. PP&L was called to the scene to eliminate this hazard..

Firefighters were able to accomplish a quick knock down of the fire, but due to atypical construction completing extinguishment took several hours. An older type of construction allowed fire to travel inside walls and attic spaces. Additionally, low outdoor temperatures took its toll on fire crews as they worked to ensure the fire was out.

Off duty firefighters were brought to the scene for this difficult fire.
A search of the structure confirmed that all occupants had escaped. There were no civilian injuries. One firefighter suffered injuries, but refused transport to the hospital.

Seven people living in five different apartments were displaced. The American Red Cross and family members are relocating the families.

Portable heating units are a very common cause of fire this time of year when outdoor temperatures drop
Remember to always:

Keep all combustibles at least 3' from heater.
Never use an extension cord with portable electric heaters.
Be sure that heater has a tip-over shut off switch.
If a fuel burning type heater is used be sure to have a Carbon Monoxide detector.
Keep children away from any heating units.
What was the probable cause?
  The fire was caused by bedding being placed too close to a portable electric heater AND being used with an extension cord. One occupant woke to fire in his bedding.
What was the extent of the damage?
  The structure was heavily damaged and will probably be considered a
complete loss.
What is the initial estimate of the dollar loss?
How many firefighters responded?
What departments responded in a mutual aid capacity?
  • None
  • YPD