Don't Let Your Holiday Go Up In Flames - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Don't Let Your Holiday Go Up In Flames

Posted: Updated:
Fire Destroyed Richland Home Over Weekend Fire Destroyed Richland Home Over Weekend

NBCRightNow.com - Firefighters say a devastating house fire over the weekend is further proof that some heat sources can be more dangerous than others.

When it starts to get colder we might be tempted to pull out the space heaters. As warm as they might be they can also be dangerous if you do not take the proper precautions.

This weekend in Yakima, several people lost their home because fire crews believe a space heater was placed too close to a bed. A couple in Richland lost everything Saturday in a fire when their house burned to the ground while they were away visiting family for Thanksgiving. The cause of that fire is still under investigation. Firefighters say when you are cooking or lightning candles, look out and watch your surroundings.

"Some of our holiday decorations getting too close to those things can spark a fire pretty rapidly," said Mark Waddington of the Pasco Fire Department. "It only takes a few minutes to ruin our holidays and ruin this time of year due to some carelessness and some negligence."

The things we place around sources of heat are sometimes highly flammable. Even when you are plugging in your holiday lights, check for frayed wires because the most devastating fires can happen like we've seen this weekend, when you least expect it.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/