No School Monday Or Tuesday At Spokane Valley's Adams Elementary - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

No School Monday Or Tuesday At Spokane Valley's Adams Elementary After Pipes Burst

Posted: Updated:
Students and staff were greeted by signs Monday morning informing them that burst pipes had forced the closure of the school Students and staff were greeted by signs Monday morning informing them that burst pipes had forced the closure of the school
  • No School Monday Or Tuesday At Spokane Valley's Adams Elementary After Pipes BurstMore>>

  • UPDATE: Adams Elementary School Closed On Tues.

    UPDATE: Adams Elementary School Closed On Tues.

    Monday, December 9 2013 1:51 PM EST2013-12-09 18:51:39 GMT
    UPDATE: School will be closed on Tuesday as well at Adams Elementary for clean up after some pipes froze. It's not clear if the school will re-open on Wed. We'll keep you posted.More >>
    UPDATE: School will be closed on Tuesday as well at Adams Elementary for clean up after some pipes froze. It's not clear if the school will re-open on Wed. We'll keep you posted.More >>
SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. -

A sign posted to the front door Monday morning said it loud and clear: "Adams is closed."

Frozen pipes led the fire suppression system to fail, causing the sprinklers to go off. Damages to the ceiling tiles, carpets and classroom materials totaled thousands of dollars spread across five classrooms at Adams Elementary in the Central Valley School District.

"[It was] quite a flood," said Adams' Principal Jeff Defresne. "It was enough to squish when you step in it."

Defresne told KHQ's Kelsey Watts the leak started Sunday night, but staff thought it was under control. Then, just before classes were to begin Monday, more pipes went out causing teachers and staff to scramble to move equipment and materials into the hallway to prevent further damage.

"We've got to dry it out, survey the damage, get new materials back, curriculum, manipulatives, things that teachers use daily, computers, in order to be able to run our classroom again," Defresne added.

He said losses are estimated in the thousands but are still being assessed. Some 20 computers were damaged or destroyed, as well as textbooks, personal materials belonging to teachers and more.

It's happened before at Adams Elementary, in the last seven years or so, Defresne said.

"I think because we'd been through this before, people know that wall was a risk," he added. "What we're hoping is that you won't notice anything different coming back."

In order to dry everything out and mitigate the moisture left inside, class is canceled again on Tuesday. It's still being determined whether everything can be back up and running in time for school on Wednesday.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • South Hill man gives deputy ride to chase down suspect on the run

    South Hill man gives deputy ride to chase down suspect on the run

    Saturday, September 23 2017 2:10 AM EDT2017-09-23 06:10:59 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane County Sheriff's Deputies are calling a 79-year-old man a hero for stepping in to help a deputy when he suddenly needed it.   That deputy tried stopping a driver on the South Hill after noticing the car didn't have license plates.     It started a chase that ended with the help from a very unlikely place. For Paul Eminger, it was a case of being in the right place at the right time. Seeing a Sheriff's Deputy running after 

    More >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane County Sheriff's Deputies are calling a 79-year-old man a hero for stepping in to help a deputy when he suddenly needed it.   That deputy tried stopping a driver on the South Hill after noticing the car didn't have license plates.     It started a chase that ended with the help from a very unlikely place. For Paul Eminger, it was a case of being in the right place at the right time. Seeing a Sheriff's Deputy running after 

    More >>
  • Fire Marshal: Fireplace sparked fatal fire at Idaho cabin

    Fire Marshal: Fireplace sparked fatal fire at Idaho cabin

    Saturday, September 23 2017 2:09 AM EDT2017-09-23 06:09:41 GMT
    Fire Marshal: Fireplace sparked fatal fire at Idaho cabinFire Marshal: Fireplace sparked fatal fire at Idaho cabin

    BOISE, Idaho (AP) - The Idaho state fire marshal says an explosion in a fireplace caused a fire that consumed a house and killed four people. Knute Sandahl said Thursday the explosion, which occurred June 30 at Tamarack Resort, was ruled accidental. Sandahl says the fireplace on the main floor of the home was converted from propane-fueled to wood-burning in 2015. During the conversion to wood, the propane line that fed the fireplace was 

    More >>

    BOISE, Idaho (AP) - The Idaho state fire marshal says an explosion in a fireplace caused a fire that consumed a house and killed four people. Knute Sandahl said Thursday the explosion, which occurred June 30 at Tamarack Resort, was ruled accidental. Sandahl says the fireplace on the main floor of the home was converted from propane-fueled to wood-burning in 2015. During the conversion to wood, the propane line that fed the fireplace was 

    More >>
  • Local man creates system to keep guns safe from kids

    Local man creates system to keep guns safe from kids

    Friday, September 22 2017 9:59 PM EDT2017-09-23 01:59:50 GMT

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - "My name is Dylan Ervin, I'm a competitive shooter, a business owner, a husband and a father of two," Dylan Ervin said in a promotional video. He's re-inventing the way we lock up our guns. Ervin has been hard at work for the last four years creating the StopBox. "It's for the in-between point for when your firearm isn't in your holster or in your gun safe," Ervin said. The StopBox acts as a barrier, similar to a tumbler 

    More >>

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - "My name is Dylan Ervin, I'm a competitive shooter, a business owner, a husband and a father of two," Dylan Ervin said in a promotional video. He's re-inventing the way we lock up our guns. Ervin has been hard at work for the last four years creating the StopBox. "It's for the in-between point for when your firearm isn't in your holster or in your gun safe," Ervin said. The StopBox acts as a barrier, similar to a tumbler 

    More >>