UPDATE: Fire in Pasco Leaves Family of Five Without Home - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

UPDATE: Early Morning Fire in Pasco Leaves Family of Five Without Home

Posted: Updated:
Firefighters believe it was a tossed cigarette that sparked the house fire in Pasco Wednesday morning, that left a family of five without a home. Firefighters believe it was a tossed cigarette that sparked the house fire in Pasco Wednesday morning, that left a family of five without a home.

UPDATE: PASCO, WA - Firefighters believe they know what sparked the house fire in Pasco Wednesday morning, that left a family of five without a home.

Investigators say the fire likely started after someone threw a cigarette into a potted plant, near the front of the home.

Firefighters say it's important to make sure you completely put out your cigarettes before tossing them because they can smolder and spark a fire. 

PREVIOUS COVERAGE

PASCO, WA - Firefighters in Pasco are trying to figure out what sparked a house fire early Wednesday morning, leaving a family of five without a home.

Firefighters say the flames started around 2:30 a.m. at a home on the corner of Road 44 and Artesia Drive in Pasco.

NBC Right Now spoke with the homeowner's father, who says the family went to bed around 10:00 p.m. Tuesday. A few hours later, they woke up to a neighbor banging on the window about a fire, near the front of their home. That's when the family ran out the back door.

"It definitely could've been worse. Whoever called it in did it pretty quickly, so we were able to respond and get control of it before it spread to the rest of the house," said Captain Garrett Jenkins with the Pasco Fire Department.

Firefighters, including units from Pasco Fire Department, Kennewick Fire Department and Franklin County Fire District 3, fought the fire for about 10 minutes, before getting it under control.

There were Christmas lights on the exterior of the home. However, firefighters did not comment on whether or not the lights played a factor in the fire.

No one was hurt and the family is staying with relatives. 


 

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.