Accident Report Required If Car Damage is Over $500 - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Accident Report Required If Car Damage is Over $500

Posted: Updated:

KENNEWICK, WA-- The recent wintry conditions Are causing lots of accidents on the slick roads.

But you might not know that a law requires you to fill out an accident report if the damage to your car in an accident is over $500.

Although, insurance companies do not require a report.

An insurance agent tells us you can pick up a report form at law enforcement stations or find one online.

"The law requires that if there's more than 500 dollars damage, that an accident report needs to be filed with the police jurisdiction you're in. If you're in town with the city police, outside of town with the state patrol and that way it's documented," said Gary Paulson, insurance agent at Mid-Columbia Insurance.

Paulson says when the law was made $500 dollars was a hefty price, but know it's difficult to make it out of a body shop without a bill of $1,000 or more.