Smoke Alarm Alerts Yakima Family to House Fire - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Smoke Alarm Alerts Yakima Family to House Fire

Posted: Updated:
Firefighters in Yakima say a working smoke detector helped a family escape from a house fire Sunday night. Firefighters in Yakima say a working smoke detector helped a family escape from a house fire Sunday night.

YAKIMA, WA - Firefighters in Yakima say a working smoke detector helped a family escape from a house fire Sunday night.

Neighbors told NBC Right Now they could hear the smoke detector alarm going off halfway down the block. When firefighters arrived around 10 o'clock Sunday night at the 1400 block of South 8th Avenue, the two adults and four children who live in the house were already outside.

They were sleeping when a fire started in their attic and the smoke detector woke them up. Because of the early detection from the alarm, the fire department was able to put out the fire within 30 minutes.

One young neighbor who saw the smoke says the fire could have been much worse.

"I think they're very lucky because if there are kids in there they could have died from smoke inhalation, inhaling the smoke," Peter Ramirez said.

Fire fighters say the fire was most likely caused from an electrical problem in the attic. The fire department says this fire is further proof that working smoke detectors can save lives.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/