Remember The 44 Vehicle Pile-Up In Idaho? We Now Know Who Caused - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Remember The 44 Vehicle Pile-Up In Idaho? We Now Know Who Caused It

Posted: Updated:
Mobile users, click this link to see slideshow photos and video: http://tinyurl.com/keq2dzn

UPDATE: BOISE, Idaho (AP) - A 38-year-old log truck driver authorities say caused the initial collision that resulted in a 44-vehicle pileup on Interstate 84 in January has been cited for inattentive driving.
   
The Idaho Statesman reports that Idaho State Police announced Wednesday the decision to cite Cory D. Ford of Emmett.
   
Police say Ford failed to slow down in heavy fog on Jan. 9 and sideswiped a tractor-trailer and rear-ended a Subaru Forester on the highway in Meridian.
   
The pileup happened as motorists entered a wall of fog during the morning rush hour. Ten people were injured in the collisions, including the driver of the Subaru who sustained serious injuries.
   
He was released after several days in a hospital.
___
   
Information from: Idaho Statesman, http://www.idahostatesman.com

PREVIOUS COVERAGE:


BOISE, Idaho (AP) - Hospital officials say a southwestern man who was badly injured in a 44-car pileup has been released from the hospital.
   
The Idaho Statesman (http://bit.ly/1dJTAsz ) reports 52-year-old Jose Silva Cuellar of Meridian was taken to the hospital in serious condition after the crash on Interstate 84 Thursday morning, but by Saturday he had improved to fair condition.
   
Silva Cuellar's 2011 Subaru Forester collided with a logging truck and the Subaru was rolled and dragged down the road for 180 feet by the larger vehicle. Emergency workers found Silva Cuellar trapped in a small compartment inside the crumpled wreckage.
   
Idaho State Police are still investigating the pileup, which happened as motorists entered a wall of fog during the morning rush hour. Nine other people were also injured in the collisions.
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Police in Spain confirm fatalities after van slams into pedestrians in Barcelona's historic district

    Police in Spain confirm fatalities after van slams into pedestrians in Barcelona's historic district

    Thursday, August 17 2017 12:34 PM EDT2017-08-17 16:34:10 GMT

    BARCELONA, Spain (AP) - Police in Barcelona say a white van has mounted a sidewalk, struck several people in the city's Las Ramblas district. Police said it wasn't clear whether the collision was accidental or intentional. There have been a number of terror-related car attacks in Europe in recent months. Authorities in Barcelona are asking people to avoid the Ramblas area, which is popular with tourists. BREAKING: Multiple injuries reported after incident involving a vehicle alon...

    More >>

    BARCELONA, Spain (AP) - Police in Barcelona say a white van has mounted a sidewalk, struck several people in the city's Las Ramblas district. Police said it wasn't clear whether the collision was accidental or intentional. There have been a number of terror-related car attacks in Europe in recent months. Authorities in Barcelona are asking people to avoid the Ramblas area, which is popular with tourists. BREAKING: Multiple injuries reported after incident involving a vehicle alon...

    More >>
  • Settlement reached in ACLU lawsuit against CIA interrogation

    Thursday, August 17 2017 11:44 AM EDT2017-08-17 15:44:04 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A settlement has been reached in a lawsuit brought by the American Civil Liberties Union against two psychologists involved in designing the CIA's harsh interrogation program used in the war on terror. Terms of the settlement were not disclosed Thursday. Trial had been scheduled for Sept. 5 in federal court in Spokane, Washington. 

    More >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A settlement has been reached in a lawsuit brought by the American Civil Liberties Union against two psychologists involved in designing the CIA's harsh interrogation program used in the war on terror. Terms of the settlement were not disclosed Thursday. Trial had been scheduled for Sept. 5 in federal court in Spokane, Washington. 

    More >>
  • Stonewall Jackson descendants call for monument's removal

    Stonewall Jackson descendants call for monument's removal

    Thursday, August 17 2017 10:35 AM EDT2017-08-17 14:35:08 GMT

    RICHMOND, Va. - Two men who identify themselves as the great-great-grandsons of Stonewall Jackson are calling for the removal of the statue of the Confederate general in Virginia's capital city.

    More >>

    RICHMOND, Va. - Two men who identify themselves as the great-great-grandsons of Stonewall Jackson are calling for the removal of the statue of the Confederate general in Virginia's capital city. Jack and Warren Christian say in a letter published by Slate late Wednesday that the removal of the Jackson statue and other Confederate monuments on Richmond's famed Monument Avenue will "necessarily further difficult conversations about racial justice."

    More >>