US Officials: Iran Not Eligible To Attend Syria Conference - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

US Officials: Iran Not Eligible To Attend Syria Conference

Posted: Updated:
  • US Officials: Iran Not Eligible To Attend Syria ConferenceMore>>

  • US To Begin Easing Sanctions On Iran

    US To Begin Easing Sanctions On Iran

    Monday, January 20 2014 11:14 AM EST2014-01-20 16:14:59 GMT
    WASHINGTON (AP) - The White House says the U.S. will begin easing economic sanctions on Iran after Tehran began shutting down its most sensitive nuclear work Monday. Iran's move was part of a landmark deal struck with world powers to ease concerns over its nuclear program and provide for the partial removal of economic sanctions.More >>
    WASHINGTON (AP) - The White House says the U.S. will begin easing economic sanctions on Iran after Tehran began shutting down its most sensitive nuclear work Monday. Iran's move was part of a landmark deal struck with world powers to ease concerns over its nuclear program and provide for the partial removal of economic sanctions.More >>
WASHINGTON (AP) - Senior U.S. officials say Iran has still not met the criteria to participate in an upcoming international conference on Syria and its invitation to attend should be withdrawn unless it fully and publicly endorses the aims of the meeting.
    
Speaking to reporters on Monday, the officials said public statements from Iran about the conference, known as Geneva II, fall "well short" of what is required for Tehran's participation. They said that the United Nations must rescind the invitation unless that changes. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter by name. But, their comments tracked with a statement the State Department issued on Sunday.
    
The officials spoke after Iran's foreign ministry said earlier Monday that it would attend without preconditions.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • National NewsMore>>

  • UPDATE: President condemns "barbaric murder" of David Haines

    UPDATE: President condemns "barbaric murder" of David Haines

    Saturday, September 13 2014 8:50 PM EDT2014-09-14 00:50:23 GMT
    BEIRUT - President Obama responded to the alleged beheading of British Aid worker David Haines Saturday. The President said in a statement, "The United States strongly condemns the barbaric murder of UK citizen David Haines," according to NBC News. New video claims to show the beheading of Haines by Islamic State group ISIS. Haines went missing in Syria last year.More >>
    BEIRUT - President Obama responded to the alleged beheading of British Aid worker David Haines Saturday. The President said in a statement, "The United States strongly condemns the barbaric murder of UK citizen David Haines," according to NBC News. New video claims to show the beheading of Haines by Islamic State group ISIS. Haines went missing in Syria last year.More >>
  • Women's colleges consider transgender applicants

    Women's colleges consider transgender applicants

    Wednesday, September 10 2014 6:31 PM EDT2014-09-10 22:31:35 GMT
    BOSTON (AP) - Women's colleges are revisiting policies around enrolling transgender students. Mills College in Oakland, California, recently became the first women's college to issue a written policy saying it would accept undergraduate applications from "self-identified women" in the coming academic year.More >>
    BOSTON (AP) - Women's colleges are revisiting policies around enrolling transgender students. Mills College in Oakland, California, recently became the first women's college to issue a written policy saying it would accept undergraduate applications from "self-identified women" in the coming academic year.More >>
  • Snoozing burglar busted by cops

    Snoozing burglar busted by cops

    Wednesday, September 10 2014 6:30 PM EDT2014-09-10 22:30:18 GMT
    NOKOMI, Fla. (AP) - Talk about a heavy sleeper. Police say an accused burglar stayed snoozing next to a bag of jewelry he was swiping from a home despite deputies snapping pictures of him.According to the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office Facebook page, a cleaning lady discovered 29-year-old Dion Davis on a bed inside.....More >>
    NOKOMI, Fla. (AP) - Talk about a heavy sleeper. Police say an accused burglar stayed snoozing next to a bag of jewelry he was swiping from a home despite deputies snapping pictures of him.According to the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office Facebook page, a cleaning lady discovered 29-year-old Dion Davis on a bed inside.....More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.