One Person Displaced in Early Morning Apartment Fire in Richland
Richland Firefighters say the reason an early morning apartment fire wasn't a lot worse, was because of the building's proximity to the fire station.
UPDATE: RICHLAND, WA - Richland Firefighters say the reason an early morning apartment fire wasn't a lot worse, was because of the building's proximity to the fire station.
Firefighters say a cigarette started the fire Monday morning in the bedroom of the apartment, where the man who lived there had been sleeping.
Firefighters say the man woke up to the flames, called 911, got out of harm's way and was still getting dressed when the first responders arrived.
Fire Captain Brenda Rodgers says the apartment, which is connected to several others, didn't have a working smoke detector. She says the owner of the building replaces the smoke detectors between tenants, but the man had lived in that unit for several years.
Rodgers says normally, smoke detectors have a functional life span of about 10 years. She says while most people know to change the batteries in their smoke detectors multiple times a year, people don't always know that smoke detectors need to be completely replaced occasionally.
Firefighters say the damages in the man's apartment Monday morning were mainly in the bedroom and hallway. The man is now staying with family.
RICHLAND, WA - Firefighters in Richland are trying to figure out what started a fire at an apartment early Monday morning.
Firefighters say the flames started in an apartment around 2:30 AM on the 1200 block of George Washington Way.
Medics say no one got hurt, but the fire did force one person out of their home.