Benton County Firefighter Shocked in Downed Power Line Fire
Firefighter shocked by a downed power line in Finley Wednesday morning.
Benton County Firefighters say Ty Schoenwald should be home from Harborview Medical Center by Thursday night.
UPDATE/KENNEWICK, WA - Benton County Firefighters say Ty Schoenwald should be home from Harborview Medical Center by Thursday night.
Thursday morning, Chief Grant Baynes, Capt. Devin Helland and Chad Bartram, the general manger of Benton PUD said all of the firefighter's tests looked good in the hospital. They said one more neurologist would check on him at noon before hopefully releasing him.
Fire Chief Baynes says the instincts and actions of the other three firefighters on scene with Schoenwald saved his life. Captain Darrin Henderson, Lieutenant Aaron Bibe and Firefighter Gary Mills performed CPR and shocked him, after he was shocked while fighting a fire, caused by a downed power line.
Baynes says the reason Schoenwald lived, was because he was using his thumb to spray water from a fire extinguisher onto the fire. When the water hit the live power line, it sent electricity through the water, shocking him. If he had touched the live wire, Schoenwald would have died. Instead he suffered a heart attack, but the three other firefighters got his heart beating again before medics arrived.
Bartram of Benton PUD says after the linemen had looked at the power line and done a visual inspection before telling firefighters the lines were dead and that the scene was safe.
Benton County Fire District 1 says it has no issues with the linemen from Benton PUD. The PUD says it is investigating the situation, but the linemen are back at work.
KENNEWICK, WA - A Benton County Firefighter is recovering after he was shocked by a power line at a fire in Finley Wednesday morning.
Firefighter Ty Schoenwald is in stable condition at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.
Schoenwald was shocked as crews were putting out a fire on a wood pile near Game Farm road started by a downed power line.
Firefighters say he dropped to the ground when he was shocked.
He was first taken to Trios hospital in Kennewick and then as a precaution transported to the Harborview's burn unit for further testing.
The 22-year-old fire fighter is the son of Benton County Fire Captain Tim Schoenwald.
Firefighters visited Schoenwald at Trios and said he was conscious and doing well.
"He was in good spirits. He was joking and talking and laughing, normal Ty. I'm glad that everything is ok. And it looks like everything is going to be fine," said Devin Helland, Benton County Fire Department.
The down line caused a brief power outage that affected about 100 homes in the area including our KNDU station.
Benton County says they are still unsure about exactly how he was shocked and a team will be investigating what happened.
Helland says Schoenwald will stay at Harborview over-night and could be released as early as Thursday.