A harmful and strange trend is spreading across the nation. Kids are taking a sugar high to a whole new leveL by snorting Smarties candy.
KENNEWICK, WA - A harmful and strange trend is spreading across the nation. Kids are taking a sugar high to a whole new leveL by snorting Smarties candy.
Smarties are a small, chalky, tablet-shaped candy. Kids are snorting it in powder form and it's taking a hit to their health.
Snorting the candy can irritate the throat, nasal passages and lungs. Doctors also find it's cutting up their nasal cavity.
And warning this is kind of gross, the sugary residue is even leading to maggots growing inside their nose.
"One of the other risks, although it is remote, is that maggots can actually grow in a kid's nose. Anytime a food product is introduced up into the nose, doctors have seen maggots in the noses," said Kathleen Clary-Cooke, Benton Franklin Health District.
Tri-Cities school nurses say they haven't seen any cases of kids snorting Smarties. But a Richland middle schooler told us she sees kids doing it in class all the time. She says one student snorted so much candy he got a bad bloody nose and had to go home.
Health specialists say this bizarre behavior with candy can actually lead to drug use because kids become comfortable with snorting something and like the reaction they get from their peers.