Fire Rips Through Bedroom of Yakama Nation Home - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Fire Rips Through Bedroom of Yakama Nation Home

Posted: Updated:
The Yakama Nation Housing Authority is now helping a family displaced by a fire at their home Thursday morning. The Yakama Nation Housing Authority is now helping a family displaced by a fire at their home Thursday morning.

YAKIMA COUNTY, WA - The Yakama Nation Housing Authority is now helping a family displaced by a fire at their home Thursday morning. 

Yakima County Firefighters say the fire started in a bedroom of the home, owned by the Yakama Nation Housing Authority, on the 400 block of Larena Lane, around 7:30am. 

Firefighters say when they arrived, a bystander was spraying water with a garden hose through an open window. 

Members of the Thompson family told firefighters everyone was out of the house, but when crews went inside, they found a person standing inside, suffering from smoke inhalation. Paramedics took them to Yakima Regional Medical Center. Firefighters say they later learned that person had gone back inside the home to make sure everyone was out. 

Investigators say the fire started on the bed, but they aren't sure exactly what caused it. They say the person whose room the fire destroyed was uncooperative with the investigation. 

Firefighters say there were no working smoke detectors in the home. The fire caused about $12,000 in damages.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.