EXCLUSIVE: Mom Saves Son From Apartment Fire, Jumps From Second - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

EXCLUSIVE: Mom Saves Son From Apartment Fire, Jumps From Second Story Window

Posted: Updated:
Spokane firefighters battled a fire at an apartment complex in the 1000 block of W. Boone Friday night Spokane firefighters battled a fire at an apartment complex in the 1000 block of W. Boone Friday night
SPOKANE, Wash. - Mobile Users Click THIS LINK to View Slideshow: http://bit.ly/1dLxypQ


SPOKANE, Wash.-  Nicole and her 7-year-old son Isaac had to jump from the second story of the apartment building on Boone and Monroe when it caught fire Friday. Nicole shares exclusively with KHQ the story of their escape. The two lost everything they owned during the fire and need everything from clothes and shoes to blankets and toys. They can be reached through the Red Cross if you would like to donate.

Previous Story:

SPOKANE, Wash.- The Spokane Fire Department confirms a cigarette is the cause of a fire on the 1000 block of West Boone that happened Friday night.  Here is the official release:

The Spokane City Fire Dept. dispatched firefighting crews and their apparatus to 1024 W. Boone at 22:41 hrs on Friday night, February 28th for a reported structure fire at that address. Engine #3, from the near-by West Central Neighborhood fire station, as they arrived on scene reported by radio that there was visible fire showing from a second floor window at the rear of the 2 story wood/framed apartment building and that they were going to advance a pre-connected lead inside the building in an attempt to get at the fire that was rapidly starting to grow in a second floor apartment. The fire was quickly up-graded to a working fire which added an additional Laddder Company to the incident. As additional resources were arriving on scene they were given assignments that included roof ventilation, search and rescue, a back-up hose lead to protect the crew from Engine #3 who were now inside and fighting their way through the stubborn fire that was being pushed by the extreme winds that were developing outside. A second fire attack lead was ordered to assist in the fire fight, a water supply was established, a Safety Officer was assigned, exposure protection assignments were made, and a Medical Division was established as there were reports of a tenant who may have jumped from a second floor window. Additionally a Rapid Intervention Team was assigned in case any fire fighters became lost or injured inside the structure. The Incident Commander requested a second alarm to get more fire fighters to the scene because the intensity of this now wind driven fire was continuing to escalate and the severe cold temperature was creating problems not only in the self contained breathing apparatus, which are the life line for the fire fighters, but also taking a toll on the fire fighters themselves. The ground around the structure and the street out front were covered in ice making the entire area hazardous for the fire fighters so a truck from the Street Dept., loaded with sand , was requested to help with fire fighter footing, an STA bus was requested so the displaced tenants could get out of the freezing weather, and the Red Cross was requested to assist the tenants with temporary lodging. After a couple of hours of persistent and aggressive fire fighting in terrible weather conditions the fire fighters were able to get the fire knocked down and to a point in the incident where some of the resources could be released to return to their Stations. A fire watch was set up to maintain a Fire Dept presence at the scene throughout the night. There were reports of possible injuries to one or two of the tenants and one fire fighter was slightly injured when he slipped and fell on the ice covered ground. The fire damage to the second floor and the roof of the building is severe and the decision on the building’s future will have to be decided by the owners. The cause of this fire is being investigated by the Spokane City Fire Dept.’s Special Investigation Unit. Eight engines, three senior ladders, one heavy rescue truck, and two Command Vehicles delivered 40 fire fighters to this incident. The estimated cost of damage in $100,000.



Previous Story:


UPDATE: We're learning that a woman pulled a fire alarm after seeing flames upstairs of the multi-story house converted into different apartments.

At least one tenant was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Wind made it difficult for firefighters to attack the fire. The fire was upgraded to a second alarm and more firefighters were brought in because of the bitter cold temps.

STA buses were brought in to help keep folks warm.

A de-icing truck was also at the scene to keep firefighters from slipping on the ice

The cause is under investigation.

PREVIOUS STORY:

Spokane Firefighters were called to a fire at an apartment building in the 1000 block of W. Boone Friday night.

When crews arrived they could see heavy smoke and flames showing from the building, and the gusty winds were only fueling the flames. Firefighters quickly attacked the blaze from all angles and along with the winds, crews were also concerned about downed power lines in the area. Smoke continued to pour from the building, but firefighters were able to get a handle on it.

We are told all occupants of the apartment complex made it out safely.

Roads in the area are blocked off and will remain that way into the early morning hours of Saturday.

This story is developing as we will update you as soon as we get any additional information confirmed.    
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • UK police: 'a number of fatalities' at Grande concert

    UK police: 'a number of fatalities' at Grande concert

    Monday, May 22 2017 7:01 PM EDT2017-05-22 23:01:30 GMT

    LONDON (AP) - Police says there are "a number of fatalities" after reports of an explosion at an Ariana Grande concert in northern England.      Police advised the public to avoid the area around the Manchester Arena Monday night.      There were no immediate details of what happened during the concert by the American singer.

    More >>

    LONDON (AP) - Police says there are "a number of fatalities" after reports of an explosion at an Ariana Grande concert in northern England.      Police advised the public to avoid the area around the Manchester Arena Monday night.      There were no immediate details of what happened during the concert by the American singer.

    More >>
  • Fairchild AFB to hold public meeting on contamination

    Fairchild AFB to hold public meeting on contamination

    Monday, May 22 2017 6:55 PM EDT2017-05-22 22:55:55 GMT

    FAIRCHILD AIR FORCE BASE, Wash. - Fairchild Air Force Base says they will be hosting a Water Contamination Public meeting on Tuesday, May 23, at 6 p.m. in the Medical Lake High School gymnasium. Experts will be on hand from Fairchild, the Air Force Civil Engineer Center, Environmental Protection Agency and Spokane Regional Health District to provide additional information and address questions and concerns.

    More >>

    FAIRCHILD AIR FORCE BASE, Wash. - Fairchild Air Force Base says they will be hosting a Water Contamination Public meeting on Tuesday, May 23, at 6 p.m. in the Medical Lake High School gymnasium. Experts will be on hand from Fairchild, the Air Force Civil Engineer Center, Environmental Protection Agency and Spokane Regional Health District to provide additional information and address questions and concerns.

    More >>
  • Man dies in California botulism outbreak from nacho-cheese

    Man dies in California botulism outbreak from nacho-cheese

    Monday, May 22 2017 6:26 PM EDT2017-05-22 22:26:29 GMT

    SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - California authorities say one man is dead in an apparent botulism outbreak stemming from nacho-cheese dip sold at a gas station. Health officials on Monday confirmed one death among what the state says is 10 people sickened by the cheese dip.      Authorities did not identify the dead man.

    More >>

    SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - California authorities say one man is dead in an apparent botulism outbreak stemming from nacho-cheese dip sold at a gas station. Health officials on Monday confirmed one death among what the state says is 10 people sickened by the cheese dip.      Authorities did not identify the dead man.

    More >>