SEATTLE, WA - The Better Business Bureau is warning people to be wary of scams related to the mudslide in Oso.
Washington state Attorney General Bob Ferguson says those wanting to donate money should exercise caution to make sure it goes to the purpose intended.
He and the BBB offer the following tips for donating:
- Be suspicious of solicitors requesting immediate donations. Don't rush decisions and consider contributing at www.give.org, a website run by the Council of Better Business Bureaus.
- Avoid cash donations. Write a check directly to the charity, not the fundraiser.
- Never give out credit card numbers over the phone.
- Be wary of "new" charities.
- Watch out for fake "victim" or memorial social media accounts.