Officer Involved Shooting Kills Man After High Speed Pursuit - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Officer Involved Shooting Kills Man After High Speed Pursuit

Posted: Updated:

YAKIMA, WA. -- One man is dead after a high speed chase in Yakima Saturday night. Officers tell NBC Right Now, the 24-year-old rammed police vehicles in a desperate attempt to escape.

"I lost one of my best friends," Andres Doming Recio said.

Honest, kind, loving. That's the type of man Andres Recio once knew. Not the man he says had trouble with heavy drugs for years and Saturday night rammed police cars in a high speed chase that ended in his death.

"To lose a real good friend of mine," Andres said. "It's like a punch in the gut."

It all started here. Police responded to a robbery call in Kiwanis Park. Nearby they found the victim in his green Honda, recklessly passing cars. Police pulled the man into this driveway. All of sudden he backed up violently into the police car and sped off. Something not very unusual for this area.

"I'm not surprised at all because there's been several times I've seen car chases going through here," Cynthia Beard said.

The victim then turned onto the highway and went down to the Nob Hill exit. He then tried to get right back on the freeway.

The car came to a rest on the shoulder of the Nob Hill on-ramp. Police say the car's tires got lodged in some of the rocks. That's when police opened fire. The car rammed its way out and drove onto the freeway but didn't make it far.

That is where we find Andres, spending one last moment with his fallen friend. 

"This is where he ended up," he said. "And so I just wanted to pay my last respects."

A friend he lost too soon. 

"He's not here," Andres said. "You know I can't reminisce anymore or anything. I just got to remember who he was and he was a great man."

Police say the car came to a rest after crashing into the center median. While officers arrested the man, they noticed he had at least one gun-shot wound. He was rushed to the hospital, where he died. His name has not yet been released.




YAKIMA, WA. -- Around 11 o'clock last night, Yakima police officers tried to pull over a car driving erratically. 

According to a police department press release, the car initially stopped in a driveway on South Fair Avenue, then rammed police vehicles when it tried to escape. Police chased the car onto the highway when the car abruptly got off on the Nob Hill Boulevard exit. 

When trying to re-enter the highway, the car became briefly stuck on some rocks. The car then rammed police vehicles again when trying to dislodge itself. At this time police say an officer fired several times at the vehicle . 

The car then drove onto the highway and crashed into the center median a short time afterward. Police surrounded the vehicle and took the suspect into custody. The 24-year-old man had at least one gunshot wound and was transported to a local hospital where he died a short time afterward. 

* This story will be updated. 

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.