UPDATE: Questions For CenturyLink On Wash. State 911 Fail - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

UPDATE: Questions For CenturyLink On Wash. State 911 Fail

Posted: Updated:
OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) - The Washington Emergency Management Division believes the 911 system is stable now, but it still wants assurances from CenturyLink there won't be a repeat of Thursday's statewide outage.
   
Division Director Robert Ezelle says the phone company shared some information Monday as it investigates what went wrong.
   
Ezelle said Tuesday the state still wants to pin down why backup system didn't kick in.
   
CenturyLink says about 4,500 calls failed to get through during a six-hour outage caused by a technical error in a third-party vendor's call router.  About 770 calls were completed in that period. CenturyLink says it has addressed the issue.
   
The outage involved 127 dispatch points in Washington.
   
The company says a similar two-hour 911 outage in parts of northwest Oregon was caused by a separate problem.

PREVIOUS STORY:

SEATTLE (AP) - CenturyLink says about 4,500 calls failed to get through during a six-hour Washington state 911 outage early last Thursday.
    
The telecommunications company said Monday that the outage was caused by a technical error in a third-party vendor's call router, which prevented the system from properly processing calls. The company says the problem did not involve the computer bug known as "Heartbleed."
    
In a statement, the company says it and the vendor "have taken steps to implement an enhanced monitoring process and have addressed the router issue."
    
CenturyLink Northwest Region President Brian Stading says he's confident that "the 911 system is fully operational and stable."
    
A similar outage in parts of northwest Oregon lasted more than two hours early Thursday. CenturyLink said that was caused by a maintenance issue.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Do you know who these burglary/fraud/theft suspects are?

    Do you know who these burglary/fraud/theft suspects are?

    Tuesday, November 21 2017 2:16 PM EST2017-11-21 19:16:40 GMT

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - Detectives with the Spokane County Sheriff's Office are hoping you can help them identify three men suspected of stealing a car, credit cards and other items last week.  Detectives say the credit cards were used a Walmart on E. Sprague and video surveillance shows three men leaving the store in the stolen car after the fraudulent transactions.

    More >>

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - Detectives with the Spokane County Sheriff's Office are hoping you can help them identify three men suspected of stealing a car, credit cards and other items last week.  Detectives say the credit cards were used a Walmart on E. Sprague and video surveillance shows three men leaving the store in the stolen car after the fraudulent transactions.

    More >>
  • Two people dead, another in serious condition in Lewiston; Detectives looking for person of interest

    Two people dead, another in serious condition in Lewiston; Detectives looking for person of interest

    Tuesday, November 21 2017 1:31 PM EST2017-11-21 18:31:18 GMT

    LEWISTON, Idaho - Detectives with the Lewiston Police Department are searching for a person of interest in a double homicide that happened early Tuesday morning.  Police found two deceased adults in a home near 6th and Preston just after 5:00 a.m. on Tuesday. A third adult victim was also found int he home with a stab wound to his back. 

    More >>

    LEWISTON, Idaho - Detectives with the Lewiston Police Department are searching for a person of interest in a double homicide that happened early Tuesday morning.  Police found two deceased adults in a home near 6th and Preston just after 5:00 a.m. on Tuesday. A third adult victim was also found int he home with a stab wound to his back. 

    More >>
  • CBS News fires Charlie Rose following sexual misconduct allegations

    CBS News fires Charlie Rose following sexual misconduct allegations

    Tuesday, November 21 2017 1:13 PM EST2017-11-21 18:13:48 GMT

    NEW YORK - CBS News has fired Charlie Rose after several women accused the veteran newsman of sexual misconduct. Rose has been one of three hosts of "CBS This Morning" since 2012 and is also a contributor to "60 Minutes."

    More >>

    NEW YORK - CBS News has fired Charlie Rose after several women accused the veteran newsman of sexual misconduct. Rose has been one of three hosts of "CBS This Morning" since 2012 and is also a contributor to "60 Minutes."

    More >>