10 More Bodies Found Inside South Korean Ferry; Hundreds Still M - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

10 More Bodies Found Inside South Korean Ferry; Hundreds Still Missing

Posted: Updated:

BC-AS--SKorea-Ship Sinking,9th Ld

10 more bodies found inside South Korean ferry

Eds: APNewsNow. Corrects number of missing to about 255 to reflect latest totals of bodies discovered. AP Video. With AP Photos. For global distribution.

MOKPO, South Korea (AP) - Divers have recovered 10 more bodies from inside the ferry that sank off South Korea. The confirmed death toll is now 46.

Officials said Sunday the bodies were recovered following divers gaining access to the inside of the ferry after three days of failed attempts due to strong currents. Details of how they got inside the ship weren't immediately clear.

More than 255 people, most of them high school students on a holiday trip, are missing. There are only 174 known survivors.

The captain of the ferry has been arrested on suspicion of negligence and abandoning people in need. Two other crew members have also been taken into custody, including a rookie third mate who a prosecutor said was steering in challenging waters unfamiliar to her when the accident occurred.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Previous Story:


SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - South Korean news agency Yonhap reports that the captain of the South Korean ferry that sank two days ago has been arrested.
    
Yonhap says 68-year-old Lee Joon-seok was detained early Saturday.
    
The ship, the Sewol, sank Wednesday, leaving hundreds missing and feared dead.
    
The investigation into the disaster has focused on the ferry's sharp turn before it started listing, and on whether a quicker evacuation order by the captain could have saved lives. Investigators also were determining whether the captain had abandoned the ship.
    
Rescuers are searching for about 270 people still missing and feared dead.
    
At least 28 bodies have been recovered. Officials said there were 179 survivors and about 270 people remain missing, many of them high school students.
    
Yonhap said two crewmembers were also arrested.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Scammers target Spokane Valley grandmother

    Scammers target Spokane Valley grandmother

    Saturday, January 20 2018 9:59 PM EST2018-01-21 02:59:02 GMT

    Spokane Valley, Wash. Karen Viszneki phone rings off the hook. Starting before the sun rises and even after she goes to bed. On a typical day, Karen will receive over 50 different phone calls from scammers. Karen Viszneki signed up with Career Builder a job search engine website in hopes to find a job. “There’s a lot of stress there, to begin with, but I applied on career builder, and since then I would say a week or two receiving nonstop calls," said Karen. The calls

    More >>

    Spokane Valley, Wash. Karen Viszneki phone rings off the hook. Starting before the sun rises and even after she goes to bed. On a typical day, Karen will receive over 50 different phone calls from scammers. Karen Viszneki signed up with Career Builder a job search engine website in hopes to find a job. “There’s a lot of stress there, to begin with, but I applied on career builder, and since then I would say a week or two receiving nonstop calls," said Karen. The calls

    More >>
  • Authorities say Washington teens used dead deer as bait to hunt eagles

    Authorities say Washington teens used dead deer as bait to hunt eagles

    Saturday, January 20 2018 9:24 PM EST2018-01-21 02:24:05 GMT

    KLICKITAT COUNTY, Wash. - The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife Police say three teens in Klickitat County were using a dead deer to bait and shoot eagles last week.

    More >>

    KLICKITAT COUNTY, Wash. - The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife Police say three teens in Klickitat County were using a dead deer to bait and shoot eagles last week.

    More >>
  • Doughnut-eating contest winner arrested for doughnut shop robbery

    Doughnut-eating contest winner arrested for doughnut shop robbery

    Saturday, January 20 2018 8:28 PM EST2018-01-21 01:28:21 GMT

    ELIZABETH CITY, N.C. - A North Carolina man who gained national attention four years ago after he was arrested following his victory in a police-sponsored doughnut eating contest has been arrested again -- this time for robbing a doughnut shop. 27-year-old Bradley Hardison was charged Thursday with felony breaking and entering, felony safe cracking and felony larceny of Dunkin' Donuts back in November, according to a release from the Elizabeth City Police Department.

    More >>

    ELIZABETH CITY, N.C. - A North Carolina man who gained national attention four years ago after he was arrested following his victory in a police-sponsored doughnut eating contest has been arrested again -- this time for robbing a doughnut shop. 27-year-old Bradley Hardison was charged Thursday with felony breaking and entering, felony safe cracking and felony larceny of Dunkin' Donuts back in November, according to a release from the Elizabeth City Police Department.

    More >>