First American Wins Boston Marathon Since 1983; Ran With Names O - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

First American Wins Boston Marathon Since 1983; Ran With Names Of Victims On Bib

Posted: Updated:
Mobile Users, Click Here To View Slideshow Photos: http://tinyurl.com/mkhabku

UPDATE: Marathon Men's Winner Has Names Of Victims On Bib
BOSTON (AP) - The winner of the Boston Marathon men's race had the names of last year's victims written in marker on the corners of his race bib.
   
Meb Keflezighi (kehf-LEHZH'-gee), of San Diego, the first American to win the men's race since 1983, wore his official runner's bib with the names of the three people killed in last year's marathon and the name of a police officer from MIT who was allegedly killed by the bombing suspect days later.
   
Keflezighi, a former New York City marathon winner and Olympic medalist, says he hoped to have his picture taken with the victims' families after his win Monday, but they weren't immediately available.
   
The victims were 8-year-old Martin Richard, 29-year-old Krystle Campbell and 23-year-old Lu Lingzi (loo ling-zuh). MIT Officer Sean Collier was shot three days after the marathon.

UPDATE: Kenya's Rita Jeptoo Wins Boston Marathon Again
BOSTON (AP) - Rita Jeptoo of Kenya successfully defended the Boston Marathon title she said she could not enjoy a year ago after the fatal bombings.
   
Jeptoo finished Monday's race in a course-record 2 hours, 18 minutes, 57 seconds. She becomes the seventh three-time Boston Marathon champion.
   
Jeptoo broke away from a group of five runners at the 23-mile mark. Buzunesh Deba finished second with an unofficial time of 2:19:59.
   
American Shalane Flanagan finished seventh after leading for more than half the race. She took a gamble by setting the early pace. She ran her first mile in 5 minutes, 11 seconds, but fell back on the Newton Hills about 21 miles into the race.

UPDATE: American Meb Keflezighi Wins Boston Marathon
BOSTON (AP) - American Meb Keflezighi has won the Boston Marathon, a year after a bombing at the finish line left three dead and more than 260 people injured.
   
Keflezighi is a former New York City Marathon champion and Olympic medalist. He ran the 26.2 miles from Hopkinton to the finish on Boylston Street in Boston's Back Bay on Monday in 2 hours, 8 minutes, 37 seconds.
   
Keflezighi held off Wilson Chebet of Kenya who finished 11 seconds behind. The 38-year-old from San Diego looked over his shoulder several times over the final mile. After realizing he wouldn't be caught, he raised his sunglasses, began pumping his right fist and made the sign of the cross.
   
No U.S. runner had won the race since Lisa Larsen-Weidenbach took the women's title in 1985; the last American man to win was Greg Meyer in 1983.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE:

BOSTON (AP) - The 118th running of the Boston Marathon has begun amid heavy security a year after the bombings near the race's finish line that killed three people and wounded more than 260 others.
    
The race began at 8:50 a.m. Monday for mobility-impaired marathoners and at 9:32 a.m. for elite women. The elite male runners start at 10 a.m.
    
Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick said at the starting line in Hopkinton that officials are trying to keep a traditional family feel to the marathon while maintaining tight security.
    
A moment of silence was observed and "America the Beautiful" was played over a loudspeaker before the start of the race.
    
About 36,000 runners registered for the race - the second-largest field in its history.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Residents deal with power outages from Bissell Fire

    Residents deal with power outages from Bissell Fire

    Monday, July 24 2017 8:47 PM EDT2017-07-25 00:47:09 GMT

    HUNTERS, Wash. - While there are families under level two and level three evacuation notices because of the Bissell Fire, there are also a lot of families who don't have electricity in their homes because of the fire. The power outage currently affects people who live in Gifford all the way down Highway 25 to about where the Two Rivers Casino is.

    More >>

    HUNTERS, Wash. - While there are families under level two and level three evacuation notices because of the Bissell Fire, there are also a lot of families who don't have electricity in their homes because of the fire. The power outage currently affects people who live in Gifford all the way down Highway 25 to about where the Two Rivers Casino is.

    More >>
  • Latah teen murder suspects to be extradited back to Idaho

    Latah teen murder suspects to be extradited back to Idaho

    Monday, July 24 2017 8:42 PM EDT2017-07-25 00:42:05 GMT

    LATAH COUNTY, Wash. - A Ferry County, Washington, Judge has approved an extradition request Monday to move teen murder suspects Matthew McKetta and Keagan Tennant back to Latah County in North Idaho. KHQ was there as Tennant, the son a Pullman Police officer, was escorted into jail Friday.

    More >>

    LATAH COUNTY, Wash. - A Ferry County, Washington, Judge has approved an extradition request Monday to move teen murder suspects Matthew McKetta and Keagan Tennant back to Latah County in North Idaho. KHQ was there as Tennant, the son a Pullman Police officer, was escorted into jail Friday.

    More >>
  • Those near Bissell fire thankful for firefighters, community

    Those near Bissell fire thankful for firefighters, community

    Monday, July 24 2017 8:33 PM EDT2017-07-25 00:33:44 GMT

    HUNTERS, Wash. - Those who live around Hunters can see the difference in the air as firefighters make good progress on the Bissell fire. But, level 2 and 3 evacuation notices are still in place for those who live adjacent to the fire. Rachel Hiskey got the notice Sunday night when she first heard a helicopter, and then noticed smoke. “Our peace has gone for a while, yes,” she says.

    More >>

    HUNTERS, Wash. - Those who live around Hunters can see the difference in the air as firefighters make good progress on the Bissell fire. But, level 2 and 3 evacuation notices are still in place for those who live adjacent to the fire. Rachel Hiskey got the notice Sunday night when she first heard a helicopter, and then noticed smoke. “Our peace has gone for a while, yes,” she says.

    More >>