First American Wins Boston Marathon Since 1983; Ran With Names O - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

First American Wins Boston Marathon Since 1983; Ran With Names Of Victims On Bib

Posted: Updated:
Mobile Users, Click Here To View Slideshow Photos: http://tinyurl.com/mkhabku

UPDATE: Marathon Men's Winner Has Names Of Victims On Bib
BOSTON (AP) - The winner of the Boston Marathon men's race had the names of last year's victims written in marker on the corners of his race bib.
   
Meb Keflezighi (kehf-LEHZH'-gee), of San Diego, the first American to win the men's race since 1983, wore his official runner's bib with the names of the three people killed in last year's marathon and the name of a police officer from MIT who was allegedly killed by the bombing suspect days later.
   
Keflezighi, a former New York City marathon winner and Olympic medalist, says he hoped to have his picture taken with the victims' families after his win Monday, but they weren't immediately available.
   
The victims were 8-year-old Martin Richard, 29-year-old Krystle Campbell and 23-year-old Lu Lingzi (loo ling-zuh). MIT Officer Sean Collier was shot three days after the marathon.

UPDATE: Kenya's Rita Jeptoo Wins Boston Marathon Again
BOSTON (AP) - Rita Jeptoo of Kenya successfully defended the Boston Marathon title she said she could not enjoy a year ago after the fatal bombings.
   
Jeptoo finished Monday's race in a course-record 2 hours, 18 minutes, 57 seconds. She becomes the seventh three-time Boston Marathon champion.
   
Jeptoo broke away from a group of five runners at the 23-mile mark. Buzunesh Deba finished second with an unofficial time of 2:19:59.
   
American Shalane Flanagan finished seventh after leading for more than half the race. She took a gamble by setting the early pace. She ran her first mile in 5 minutes, 11 seconds, but fell back on the Newton Hills about 21 miles into the race.

UPDATE: American Meb Keflezighi Wins Boston Marathon
BOSTON (AP) - American Meb Keflezighi has won the Boston Marathon, a year after a bombing at the finish line left three dead and more than 260 people injured.
   
Keflezighi is a former New York City Marathon champion and Olympic medalist. He ran the 26.2 miles from Hopkinton to the finish on Boylston Street in Boston's Back Bay on Monday in 2 hours, 8 minutes, 37 seconds.
   
Keflezighi held off Wilson Chebet of Kenya who finished 11 seconds behind. The 38-year-old from San Diego looked over his shoulder several times over the final mile. After realizing he wouldn't be caught, he raised his sunglasses, began pumping his right fist and made the sign of the cross.
   
No U.S. runner had won the race since Lisa Larsen-Weidenbach took the women's title in 1985; the last American man to win was Greg Meyer in 1983.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE:

BOSTON (AP) - The 118th running of the Boston Marathon has begun amid heavy security a year after the bombings near the race's finish line that killed three people and wounded more than 260 others.
    
The race began at 8:50 a.m. Monday for mobility-impaired marathoners and at 9:32 a.m. for elite women. The elite male runners start at 10 a.m.
    
Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick said at the starting line in Hopkinton that officials are trying to keep a traditional family feel to the marathon while maintaining tight security.
    
A moment of silence was observed and "America the Beautiful" was played over a loudspeaker before the start of the race.
    
About 36,000 runners registered for the race - the second-largest field in its history.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • West Nile Virus confirmed in two Spokane County residents

    West Nile Virus confirmed in two Spokane County residents

    Tuesday, September 26 2017 12:14 PM EDT2017-09-26 16:14:48 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) - The Spokane Regional Health District states that Washington state has its first two cases of West Nile virus this year and both of those cases were likely acquired in Spokane County. Clinical testing by health care providers and initial laboratory testing by Washington State Public Health Laboratory confirmed the cases. The first in a male in his 60s who remains hospitalized.

    More >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) - The Spokane Regional Health District states that Washington state has its first two cases of West Nile virus this year and both of those cases were likely acquired in Spokane County. Clinical testing by health care providers and initial laboratory testing by Washington State Public Health Laboratory confirmed the cases. The first in a male in his 60s who remains hospitalized.

    More >>
  • Trump says he'll visit Puerto Rico next Tuesday

    Trump says he'll visit Puerto Rico next Tuesday

    Tuesday, September 26 2017 11:15 AM EDT2017-09-26 15:15:06 GMT

    WASHINGTON - President Donald Trump says he'll visit hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico next Tuesday. Trump announced the visit after the administration came under criticism for its response to the damage on the island that is home to more than 3 million U.S. citizens. The island has been coping with shortages of food, drinking water, electricity and various forms of communication after Hurricane Maria struck earlier this month. 

    More >>

    WASHINGTON - President Donald Trump says he'll visit hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico next Tuesday. Trump announced the visit after the administration came under criticism for its response to the damage on the island that is home to more than 3 million U.S. citizens. The island has been coping with shortages of food, drinking water, electricity and various forms of communication after Hurricane Maria struck earlier this month. 

    More >>
  • Burn ban lifted in Spokane, Spokane Valley and Spokane County

    Burn ban lifted in Spokane, Spokane Valley and Spokane County

    Tuesday, September 26 2017 10:18 AM EDT2017-09-26 14:18:28 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane, Spokane Valley, and Spokane County have lifted burn restrictions as the forecast for potential fire is returning to "normal" or "minimal." The burn ban went into effect back in early July and was lifted Monday morning. 

    More >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane, Spokane Valley, and Spokane County have lifted burn restrictions as the forecast for potential fire is returning to "normal" or "minimal." The burn ban went into effect back in early July and was lifted Monday morning. "Residents may resume outdoor burning activities and the use of outdoor recreational fire pits, campfire rings/bowls, portable outdoor fire places," the County said in a statement. 

    More >>