First American Wins Boston Marathon Since 1983; Ran With Names O - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

First American Wins Boston Marathon Since 1983; Ran With Names Of Victims On Bib

Posted: Updated:
Mobile Users, Click Here To View Slideshow Photos: http://tinyurl.com/mkhabku

UPDATE: Marathon Men's Winner Has Names Of Victims On Bib
BOSTON (AP) - The winner of the Boston Marathon men's race had the names of last year's victims written in marker on the corners of his race bib.
   
Meb Keflezighi (kehf-LEHZH'-gee), of San Diego, the first American to win the men's race since 1983, wore his official runner's bib with the names of the three people killed in last year's marathon and the name of a police officer from MIT who was allegedly killed by the bombing suspect days later.
   
Keflezighi, a former New York City marathon winner and Olympic medalist, says he hoped to have his picture taken with the victims' families after his win Monday, but they weren't immediately available.
   
The victims were 8-year-old Martin Richard, 29-year-old Krystle Campbell and 23-year-old Lu Lingzi (loo ling-zuh). MIT Officer Sean Collier was shot three days after the marathon.

UPDATE: Kenya's Rita Jeptoo Wins Boston Marathon Again
BOSTON (AP) - Rita Jeptoo of Kenya successfully defended the Boston Marathon title she said she could not enjoy a year ago after the fatal bombings.
   
Jeptoo finished Monday's race in a course-record 2 hours, 18 minutes, 57 seconds. She becomes the seventh three-time Boston Marathon champion.
   
Jeptoo broke away from a group of five runners at the 23-mile mark. Buzunesh Deba finished second with an unofficial time of 2:19:59.
   
American Shalane Flanagan finished seventh after leading for more than half the race. She took a gamble by setting the early pace. She ran her first mile in 5 minutes, 11 seconds, but fell back on the Newton Hills about 21 miles into the race.

UPDATE: American Meb Keflezighi Wins Boston Marathon
BOSTON (AP) - American Meb Keflezighi has won the Boston Marathon, a year after a bombing at the finish line left three dead and more than 260 people injured.
   
Keflezighi is a former New York City Marathon champion and Olympic medalist. He ran the 26.2 miles from Hopkinton to the finish on Boylston Street in Boston's Back Bay on Monday in 2 hours, 8 minutes, 37 seconds.
   
Keflezighi held off Wilson Chebet of Kenya who finished 11 seconds behind. The 38-year-old from San Diego looked over his shoulder several times over the final mile. After realizing he wouldn't be caught, he raised his sunglasses, began pumping his right fist and made the sign of the cross.
   
No U.S. runner had won the race since Lisa Larsen-Weidenbach took the women's title in 1985; the last American man to win was Greg Meyer in 1983.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE:

BOSTON (AP) - The 118th running of the Boston Marathon has begun amid heavy security a year after the bombings near the race's finish line that killed three people and wounded more than 260 others.
    
The race began at 8:50 a.m. Monday for mobility-impaired marathoners and at 9:32 a.m. for elite women. The elite male runners start at 10 a.m.
    
Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick said at the starting line in Hopkinton that officials are trying to keep a traditional family feel to the marathon while maintaining tight security.
    
A moment of silence was observed and "America the Beautiful" was played over a loudspeaker before the start of the race.
    
About 36,000 runners registered for the race - the second-largest field in its history.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • 3 churches firebombed in Chile during pope visit

    3 churches firebombed in Chile during pope visit

    Tuesday, January 16 2018 7:47 AM EST2018-01-16 12:47:00 GMT

    SANTIAGO, Chile (AP) - Three churches have been firebombed in Chile on the first full day of Pope Francis' visit to the Andean nation.   Authorities say two churches were burned in the early hours of Tuesday in the southern Araucania region. The pope is set to visit with indigenous Mapuches Wednesday in Temuco, the capital of Araucania.

    More >>

    SANTIAGO, Chile (AP) - Three churches have been firebombed in Chile on the first full day of Pope Francis' visit to the Andean nation.   Authorities say two churches were burned in the early hours of Tuesday in the southern Araucania region. The pope is set to visit with indigenous Mapuches Wednesday in Temuco, the capital of Araucania.

    More >>
  • Spokane Valley firefighters meet someone they saved using pit crew CPR

    Spokane Valley firefighters meet someone they saved using pit crew CPR

    Tuesday, January 16 2018 2:27 AM EST2018-01-16 07:27:14 GMT

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - Everyday, firefighters respond to many different calls. But it’s not everyday that they get to reunite with the people they help. On Sunday, Matt Kovich, a firefighter with Spokane Valley Fire Department, was at a fundraiser for the Scott Firefighter Stairclimb. The event takes place in March and raises money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. While there, Matt met someone who had a story he didn’t expect to hear. “We normally don't get to...

    More >>

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - Everyday, firefighters respond to many different calls. But it’s not everyday that they get to reunite with the people they help. On Sunday, Matt Kovich, a firefighter with Spokane Valley Fire Department, was at a fundraiser for the Scott Firefighter Stairclimb. The event takes place in March and raises money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. While there, Matt met someone who had a story he didn’t expect to hear. “We normally don't get to...

    More >>
  • Parents arrested after 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, discovered held captive in California home

    Parents arrested after 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, discovered held captive in California home

    Tuesday, January 16 2018 2:09 AM EST2018-01-16 07:09:07 GMT

    PERRIS, California - Two parents are being held on $9 million bail each after a horrific discovery at a home in Perris, California Sunday.  The Riverside County Sheriff's Department says a 17-year-old girl escaped from her house in the 100 block of Muir Woods Road, in Perris and managed to call 911 from a cell phone she found inside the house.

    More >>

    PERRIS, California - Two parents are being held on $9 million bail each after a horrific discovery at a home in Perris, California Sunday.  The Riverside County Sheriff's Department says a 17-year-old girl escaped from her house in the 100 block of Muir Woods Road, in Perris and managed to call 911 from a cell phone she found inside the house.

    More >>