California Cities Start Water Waste Patrols - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

California Cities Start Water Waste Patrols

Posted: Updated:
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - A handful of California cities are deploying water patrols to crack down on wasteful residents as the state faces a historic drought. At least 45 water agencies are enforcing mandatory water restrictions. The state capital has the toughest program.

Dozens of Sacramento city employees are driving around responding to complaints and warning residents who water lawns on prohibited days. Gentle reminders are preferred, but fines are slapped on repeat offenders.

Residents are encouraged to report scofflaw neighbors as the city tries to cut its water use by 20 percent. Other cities say they don't need to go to similar lengths because they make water waste expensive or have permanent conservation rules.

Los Angeles, which kept water restrictions from the last drought, plans to only have four people patrolling its city.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


  • National NewsMore>>

  • Charge filed against dad in 1983 toddler killing

    Charge filed against dad in 1983 toddler killing

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 8:02 PM EDT2014-09-17 00:02:40 GMT
    TACOMA, Wash. - Prosecutors in Pierce County, Washington, have filed a manslaughter charge against a 57-year-old man for killing his 3-year-old son in 1983. More >>
    TACOMA, Wash. - Prosecutors in Pierce County, Washington, have filed a manslaughter charge against a 57-year-old man for killing his 3-year-old son in 1983. Prosecutors said Tuesday that a warrant has been issued for Stanley Guidroz to return to Washington to face the charge. Guidroz is currently serving time in a Louisiana prison for murdering his wife, who is not the boy's mom.More >>
  • UPDATE: President condemns "barbaric murder" of David Haines

    UPDATE: President condemns "barbaric murder" of David Haines

    Saturday, September 13 2014 8:50 PM EDT2014-09-14 00:50:23 GMT
    BEIRUT - President Obama responded to the alleged beheading of British Aid worker David Haines Saturday. The President said in a statement, "The United States strongly condemns the barbaric murder of UK citizen David Haines," according to NBC News. New video claims to show the beheading of Haines by Islamic State group ISIS. Haines went missing in Syria last year.More >>
    BEIRUT - President Obama responded to the alleged beheading of British Aid worker David Haines Saturday. The President said in a statement, "The United States strongly condemns the barbaric murder of UK citizen David Haines," according to NBC News. New video claims to show the beheading of Haines by Islamic State group ISIS. Haines went missing in Syria last year.More >>
  • Women's colleges consider transgender applicants

    Women's colleges consider transgender applicants

    Wednesday, September 10 2014 6:31 PM EDT2014-09-10 22:31:35 GMT
    BOSTON (AP) - Women's colleges are revisiting policies around enrolling transgender students. Mills College in Oakland, California, recently became the first women's college to issue a written policy saying it would accept undergraduate applications from "self-identified women" in the coming academic year.More >>
    BOSTON (AP) - Women's colleges are revisiting policies around enrolling transgender students. Mills College in Oakland, California, recently became the first women's college to issue a written policy saying it would accept undergraduate applications from "self-identified women" in the coming academic year.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.