CRAZY VIDEO: Two Men Drive Through Flames Of San Diego Fire - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

CRAZY VIDEO: Two Men Drive Through Flames Of San Diego Fire

Posted: Updated:
UPDATE (May 16, 2014): CARLSBAD, California - Jeb Durgin or Carlsbad, California uploaded a video shot by his coworker, Byron Bauman that looks like something out of a movie as they literally drive through the flames of the San Diego fire.

"I drove through the flames," Durgin told Yahoo News. "If there were police officers, if there were fire trucks, there's no way in hell they would have let us drive through that, but there was nobody stopping us."

UPDATE (May 15, 2014):
SAN DIEGO (AP) - The San Diego County sheriff says arson will be among the many possibilities investigators will look at in trying to determine what caused nine fires to break out during a two-day heat wave.
   
Sheriff Bill Gore said Thursday that it could take months to find the causes of the blazes concentrated in the northwestern area of the county, from the coast to areas 10 to 15 miles inland.
   
The first fire started Tuesday. The eight other wildfires erupted over the course of hours Wednesday.
   
Gore says investigators are not ruling anything out, but he also wouldn't prejudge the investigations.
   
He noted that sparks from vehicles can easily ignite brush in such hot, dry and windy conditions.
   
The fires have caused more than $22 million in damage so far.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

UPDATE (May 15, 2014):

CARLSBAD, Calif. (AP) - California Gov. Jerry Brown has declared a state of emergency for San Diego County, where at least half a dozen wildfires have forced thousands to flee burning homes.
   
Firefighters have been contending with temperatures approaching 100 degrees and gusty winds as they try to contain flames fueled by brush and trees left brittle by drought.
   
No major injuries have been reported, but two firefighters have suffered minor injuries - one heat-related and one from smoke inhalation.
   
The worst of the fires is in the coastal city of Carlsbad, about 30 miles north of San Diego. The city's schools have been closed, and officials don't expect them to reopen until next week.
   
Carlsbad Mayor Matt Hall says the blaze consumed an eight-unit condominium complex and has damaged eight homes and two businesses.
   
Crews have made progress in stopping the fire's spread. They estimate it was 10 percent contained Wednesday evening.
   
Meanwhile, a blaze that broke out Tuesday and forced the evacuation of 20,000 homes in the Rancho Bernardo area is now 50 percent contained.

UPDATE (May 15, 2014):
SAN MARCOS, Calif. (AP) - Officials say hundreds of new evacuation orders have been issued for the Southern California city of San Marcos where a wildfire continues burning out of control.San Diego County officials said Thursday that the blaze had chewed through 700 acres and hundreds of notices were sent out to residents.

The fire is one of nine fires that broke out in San Diego on Wednesday amid a heat wave and gusty winds.

Officials say one of the most-damaging blazes so far in neighboring Carlsbad was 60 percent contained and evacuation orders were being lifted there.

Carlsbad Mayor Matt Hall says the fire burned 400 acres and destroyed a 18-unit condominium complex and four single-family homes.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

PREVIOUS STORY (May 14, 2014):

SAN DIEGO (AP) - A brush fire has forced evacuation of thousands of people in the Southern California city of Carlsbad and two homes are burning.
    
City officials said mandatory evacuations were in progress Wednesday, and more than 11,000 notices were sent to homes and businesses.
    
Two homes could be seen burning in TV broadcasts from Carlsbad. State fire Capt. Mike Moehler tells KCAL-TV structures are actively burning but he doesn't know how many.
    
The Legoland California amusement park has been shut down due to a power outage.
    
The blaze was one of several that firefighters in San Diego County were battling amid hot, dry, windy conditions.
    
The fire on the outskirts of San Diego had threatened thousands of homes Tuesday and was 25 percent contained.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Firefighter shot while responding to senior home dies

    Firefighter shot while responding to senior home dies

    Monday, June 25 2018 11:49 AM EDT2018-06-25 15:49:05 GMT

    LONG BEACH, Calif. - A firefighter who was shot while responding to an explosion and fire at a Southern California retirement home has died. Long Beach Fire Chief Mike DuRee announced that the firefighter had died about four hours after the shooting before dawn Monday. DuRee says the 45-year-old firefighter was a 17-year veteran of the department and leaves behind a wife and two children.

    More >>

    LONG BEACH, Calif. - A firefighter who was shot while responding to an explosion and fire at a Southern California retirement home has died. Long Beach Fire Chief Mike DuRee announced that the firefighter had died about four hours after the shooting before dawn Monday. DuRee says the 45-year-old firefighter was a 17-year veteran of the department and leaves behind a wife and two children.

    More >>
  • 'The Old Man' from 'Pawn Stars', Richard Harrison, dies at the age of 77

    'The Old Man' from 'Pawn Stars', Richard Harrison, dies at the age of 77

    Monday, June 25 2018 11:44 AM EDT2018-06-25 15:44:31 GMT

    LAS VEGAS - Richard Benjamin Harrison, known as "The Old Man" on The History Channel's "Pawn Stars" passed away Monday morning at the age of 77.  A cause is not known at this time, but Harrison's son, Rick, said he was "surrounded by loving family this past weekend and went peacefully."  

    More >>

    LAS VEGAS - Richard Benjamin Harrison, known as "The Old Man" on The History Channel's "Pawn Stars" passed away Monday morning at the age of 77.  A cause is not known at this time, but Harrison's son, Rick, said he was "surrounded by loving family this past weekend and went peacefully."  

    More >>
  • Supreme Court declines to hear 'Making a Murderer' case

    Supreme Court declines to hear 'Making a Murderer' case

    Monday, June 25 2018 10:07 AM EDT2018-06-25 14:07:11 GMT
    A federal appeals court has ruled that a Wisconsin inmate featured in the Netflix series "Making a Murderer" must remain behind bars even though his conviction has been overturned.A federal appeals court has ruled that a Wisconsin inmate featured in the Netflix series "Making a Murderer" must remain behind bars even though his conviction has been overturned.

    WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court is declining to weigh in on the case of a teenager convicted of rape and murder and featured in the Netflix series "Making a Murderer."  

    More >>

    WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court is declining to weigh in on the case of a teenager convicted of rape and murder and featured in the Netflix series "Making a Murderer."  The Supreme Court's decision Monday not to take the case leaves in place a lower court ruling against Brendan Dassey.    Dassey was 16 years old when he confessed to Wisconsin authorities that he'd joined his uncle in raping and murdering photographer Teresa Halbach.

    More >>