SLIDESHOW: 7 Dead In Mass Shooting Near UC Santa Barbara, Shoote - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

SLIDESHOW: 7 Dead In Mass Shooting Near UC Santa Barbara, Shooter's Manifesto Found

Posted: Updated:

ISLA VISTA, California- The student who killed six people near the University of California, Santa Barbara, detailed in a manifesto how deputies almost thwarted his killing plan.

Elliot Rodger wrote in the 141-page rambling document how he narrowly missed being found out when deputies knocked on his door last month.

Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown says deputies checked on Rodger after being called by a concerned family member. The officers left after determining he didn't need to be locked up for mental-health reasons.

Rodger expressed relief that his apartment wasn't searched because deputies would have found his weapons and his writings and would have foiled his plan.

Brown says he won't second-guess his deputies' decision-making in the encounter.

Rodger carried out part of his plan before he was killed.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


Previous Story:

GOLETA, Calif. (AP) - A lawyer says the family of a man they believe went on a shooting rampage near a Santa Barbara, California, university called police several weeks ago after being alarmed by YouTube videos "regarding suicide and the killing of people."

Family attorney Alan Shifman says police interviewed Elliot Rodger and found him to be a "perfectly polite, kind and wonderful human." Shifman says police found no history of guns, but did say Rodger had trouble making friends and didn't have any girlfriends.

Shifman is the attorney for Peter Rodger, who was one of the assistant directors on "The Hunger Games."

Authorities haven't confirmed the identity of the suspect. But Elliot Rodger is the suspected gunman.

Police say a gunman driving a BMW killed six people last night in the beachside community of Isla Vista. The suspect was later found dead with a gunshot wound to the head, but it's not clear whether he was shot by deputies or committed suicide.

Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown says seven people are hospitalized with gunshot wounds or other injuries, including one who has undergone surgery.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Democrats want US Interior Department staff moves explained

    Democrats want US Interior Department staff moves explained

    Friday, June 22 2018 5:31 PM EDT2018-06-22 21:31:21 GMT

    BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) - Democrats in Congress are asking U.S. Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke to explain the reassignments of dozens of senior agency officials, most recently Yellowstone National Park's superintendent who was offered an unwanted transfer and then told he'd be gone in August.

    More >>

    BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) - Democrats in Congress are asking U.S. Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke to explain the reassignments of dozens of senior agency officials, most recently Yellowstone National Park's superintendent who was offered an unwanted transfer and then told he'd be gone in August.

    More >>
  • Trump declares NKorea still poses "extraordinary threat"

    Trump declares NKorea still poses "extraordinary threat"

    Friday, June 22 2018 5:14 PM EDT2018-06-22 21:14:43 GMT

    WASHINGTON (AP) - President Donald Trump has declared that North Korea still poses an "extraordinary threat" to the United States.    In an executive order Friday, the president extended for one year the so-called "national emergency" with respect to the authoritarian, nuclear-armed nation, authorizing economic restrictions against it.

    More >>

    WASHINGTON (AP) - President Donald Trump has declared that North Korea still poses an "extraordinary threat" to the United States.    In an executive order Friday, the president extended for one year the so-called "national emergency" with respect to the authoritarian, nuclear-armed nation, authorizing economic restrictions against it.

    More >>
  • No charges for teens who taunted drowning disabled man

    No charges for teens who taunted drowning disabled man

    Friday, June 22 2018 5:06 PM EDT2018-06-22 21:06:56 GMT

    COCOA, Fla. (AP) - Florida prosecutors say they aren't charging a group of teens who taunted a drowning disabled man and recorded his death.    State Attorney Phil Archer released a statement Friday announcing his office's decision not to criminally charge four juveniles and one adult for failing to help 31-year-old Jamel Dunn at a Cocoa retention pond last July.

    More >>

    COCOA, Fla. (AP) - Florida prosecutors say they aren't charging a group of teens who taunted a drowning disabled man and recorded his death.    State Attorney Phil Archer released a statement Friday announcing his office's decision not to criminally charge four juveniles and one adult for failing to help 31-year-old Jamel Dunn at a Cocoa retention pond last July.

    More >>