SLIDESHOW: 7 Dead In Mass Shooting Near UC Santa Barbara, Shoote - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

SLIDESHOW: 7 Dead In Mass Shooting Near UC Santa Barbara, Shooter's Manifesto Found

Posted: Updated:

ISLA VISTA, California- The student who killed six people near the University of California, Santa Barbara, detailed in a manifesto how deputies almost thwarted his killing plan.

Elliot Rodger wrote in the 141-page rambling document how he narrowly missed being found out when deputies knocked on his door last month.

Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown says deputies checked on Rodger after being called by a concerned family member. The officers left after determining he didn't need to be locked up for mental-health reasons.

Rodger expressed relief that his apartment wasn't searched because deputies would have found his weapons and his writings and would have foiled his plan.

Brown says he won't second-guess his deputies' decision-making in the encounter.

Rodger carried out part of his plan before he was killed.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


Previous Story:

GOLETA, Calif. (AP) - A lawyer says the family of a man they believe went on a shooting rampage near a Santa Barbara, California, university called police several weeks ago after being alarmed by YouTube videos "regarding suicide and the killing of people."

Family attorney Alan Shifman says police interviewed Elliot Rodger and found him to be a "perfectly polite, kind and wonderful human." Shifman says police found no history of guns, but did say Rodger had trouble making friends and didn't have any girlfriends.

Shifman is the attorney for Peter Rodger, who was one of the assistant directors on "The Hunger Games."

Authorities haven't confirmed the identity of the suspect. But Elliot Rodger is the suspected gunman.

Police say a gunman driving a BMW killed six people last night in the beachside community of Isla Vista. The suspect was later found dead with a gunshot wound to the head, but it's not clear whether he was shot by deputies or committed suicide.

Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown says seven people are hospitalized with gunshot wounds or other injuries, including one who has undergone surgery.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • Capone murder trial underway in Moscow

    Capone murder trial underway in Moscow

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 5:14 PM EDT2014-09-02 21:14:29 GMT
    MOSCOW, Idaho - The long awaited murder trial of Charles Capone began in Moscow, Idaho on Tuesday. Capone is accused of murdering his estranged ex-wife, Racheal Anderson, 4 years ago. More >>
    MOSCOW, Idaho - The long awaited murder trial of Charles Capone began in Moscow, Idaho on Tuesday. Capone is accused of murdering his estranged ex-wife, Racheal Anderson, 4 years ago. Anderson's body has never been found. Detectives say Capone and a friend, David Stone made a pact to kill each other's wives.More >>
  • Home Depot investigating potential credit and debit card breach

    Home Depot investigating potential credit and debit card breach

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 5:10 PM EDT2014-09-02 21:10:56 GMT
    Home improvement retailer Home Depot says it may be the latest victim of a massive credit card security breach. The Atlanta-based company confirmed Tuesday that it is looking into "unusual activity" and it's working with both banks and law enforcement.More >>
    Home improvement retailer Home Depot says it may be the latest victim of a massive credit card security breach. The Atlanta-based company confirmed Tuesday that it is looking into "unusual activity" and it's working with both banks and law enforcement.More >>
  • UPDATE: FBI investigates Jennifer Lawrence nude pics

    UPDATE: FBI investigates Jennifer Lawrence nude pics

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 4:26 PM EDT2014-09-02 20:26:14 GMT
    LOS ANGELES (AP) - A publicist for Jennifer Lawrence says the actress has contacted authorities after nude photos of her were apparently stolen and posted online. Intimate images of the Oscar winning actress began appearing online on Sunday and nude images purported to be of other female celebrities were also being circulated online.More >>
    LOS ANGELES (AP) - A publicist for Jennifer Lawrence says the actress has contacted authorities after nude photos of her were apparently stolen and posted online. Intimate images of the Oscar winning actress began appearing online on Sunday and nude images purported to be of other female celebrities were also being circulated online.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.