YAKIMA, WA - Yakima firefighters are investigating what sparked a fire on the 1200 block of South 72nd Avenue in Yakima on Wednesday.
Around 12:35 p.m. Wednesday, the Yakima Fire Department was called to a structure fire at an apartment complex on South 72nd Avenue. A West Valley Fire Department officer was first on the scene and started to evacuate the apartments.
The fire started outside of the building in a juniper type bush that was right next to the building. The fire quickly spread to the structure through the soffit and into the attic space. The first firefighters on the scene were able to knock down the majority of the fire from the outside.
The fire was confined to just the outside of the building and the attic. Fire crews stayed on the scene for about two hours to watch for any more flames.
No one was hurt in the fire. The three adults that lived in the damaged apartment were displaced and the Red Cross is helping them out. Firefighters estimate the fire caused about $50,000 worth of damage to the building and $2,000 worth of damage to the contents inside the apartment.