Remembering One Of Our Own: James Birney Blair - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Remembering One Of Our Own: James Birney Blair

Posted: Updated:

SPOKANE, Wash.- James Birney Blair died Saturday, June 15 at the age of 92. He is remembered as a reporter, salesmen, station manager, and broadcasting pioneer. Blair was instrumental in shaping KHQ as the first general manager in 1952 and later as the president.

Blair was born in 1921 and grew up in Spokane. He studied radio at North Central High School and worked his way through college at a locally owned radio station called KUJ in Walla Walla. Like many young men at the time he entered the military in 1942. As a member of the Army Air Corps he served with the Eagle Squadron of the Royal Air Force in England.

When he returned to the United States he was commissioned in Sioux City, Iowa and met someone very special…his future wife Marcy. While still stationed in Sioux City, Blair attended Morning Side to complete his degree.

After leaving active duty Blair came home to Spokane to work as a reporter for KHQ. He later joined the station’s sales department. Blair’s broadcast career was interrupted when he was recalled to serve in the Air Force as a combat intelligence officer in Korea. It was there he was awarded the bronze star.

Blair returned to KHQ in 1951 and soon became the station’s sales manager. In 1970 Blair became president and general manager at the station.

Blair blazed new paths and was highly involved with the community at his time at KHQ. He served two terms as president and chairman for the board of Washington State Association of Broadcasting, headed the legislative committee, and was named broadcaster of the year.

This story was written by KHQ Intern Erin O'Shaughnessy.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • South Hill man gives deputy ride to chase down suspect on the run

    South Hill man gives deputy ride to chase down suspect on the run

    Saturday, September 23 2017 2:10 AM EDT2017-09-23 06:10:59 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane County Sheriff's Deputies are calling a 79-year-old man a hero for stepping in to help a deputy when he suddenly needed it.   That deputy tried stopping a driver on the South Hill after noticing the car didn't have license plates.     It started a chase that ended with the help from a very unlikely place. For Paul Eminger, it was a case of being in the right place at the right time. Seeing a Sheriff's Deputy running after 

    More >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane County Sheriff's Deputies are calling a 79-year-old man a hero for stepping in to help a deputy when he suddenly needed it.   That deputy tried stopping a driver on the South Hill after noticing the car didn't have license plates.     It started a chase that ended with the help from a very unlikely place. For Paul Eminger, it was a case of being in the right place at the right time. Seeing a Sheriff's Deputy running after 

    More >>
  • Fire Marshal: Fireplace sparked fatal fire at Idaho cabin

    Fire Marshal: Fireplace sparked fatal fire at Idaho cabin

    Saturday, September 23 2017 2:09 AM EDT2017-09-23 06:09:41 GMT
    Fire Marshal: Fireplace sparked fatal fire at Idaho cabinFire Marshal: Fireplace sparked fatal fire at Idaho cabin

    BOISE, Idaho (AP) - The Idaho state fire marshal says an explosion in a fireplace caused a fire that consumed a house and killed four people. Knute Sandahl said Thursday the explosion, which occurred June 30 at Tamarack Resort, was ruled accidental. Sandahl says the fireplace on the main floor of the home was converted from propane-fueled to wood-burning in 2015. During the conversion to wood, the propane line that fed the fireplace was 

    More >>

    BOISE, Idaho (AP) - The Idaho state fire marshal says an explosion in a fireplace caused a fire that consumed a house and killed four people. Knute Sandahl said Thursday the explosion, which occurred June 30 at Tamarack Resort, was ruled accidental. Sandahl says the fireplace on the main floor of the home was converted from propane-fueled to wood-burning in 2015. During the conversion to wood, the propane line that fed the fireplace was 

    More >>
  • Local man creates system to keep guns safe from kids

    Local man creates system to keep guns safe from kids

    Friday, September 22 2017 9:59 PM EDT2017-09-23 01:59:50 GMT

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - "My name is Dylan Ervin, I'm a competitive shooter, a business owner, a husband and a father of two," Dylan Ervin said in a promotional video. He's re-inventing the way we lock up our guns. Ervin has been hard at work for the last four years creating the StopBox. "It's for the in-between point for when your firearm isn't in your holster or in your gun safe," Ervin said. The StopBox acts as a barrier, similar to a tumbler 

    More >>

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - "My name is Dylan Ervin, I'm a competitive shooter, a business owner, a husband and a father of two," Dylan Ervin said in a promotional video. He's re-inventing the way we lock up our guns. Ervin has been hard at work for the last four years creating the StopBox. "It's for the in-between point for when your firearm isn't in your holster or in your gun safe," Ervin said. The StopBox acts as a barrier, similar to a tumbler 

    More >>