Bird in Electrical Box Sparks Fire in Eastern Oregon - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Bird in Electrical Box Sparks Fire in Eastern Oregon

Posted: Updated:
HEPPNER, OR - A bird got into an electrical box, and the resulting sparks set off a grass fire that burned within yards of houses on the western edge of Heppner in Eastern Oregon.


Fire Chief Rusty Estes says the fire Thursday afternoon was driven by winds and blackened a hillside, about 1,000 acres of grass and trees.

Some people used hoses and shovels to keep the flames away from their homes until firefighters arrived.

No one got hurt in the fire. A shed burned, but flames bypassed a cell tower atop the hill.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.