A stretch of Washington state highway that was buried in the deadly March 22 Oso mudslide reopened Friday afternoon to two-way traffic.
OSO, WA - A stretch of Washington state highway that was buried in the deadly March 22nd Oso mudslide reopened Friday afternoon to two-way traffic.
State Transportation Department spokesman Bart Treece says contractor crews have spent the past week patching and repaving damaged sections of State Highway 530 to allow for safe travel in both directions. Since late May, traffic had been operating on a one-way basis, with a pilot car alternating directions of travel based on demand.
The speed limit in the area will remain 25 mph to keep construction workers safe.
Treece says work will continue through the summer to build a permanent new section of highway south of the temporarily repaired roadway.
Of the 43 people killed by the slide, a 44-year-old woman, Kris Regelbrugge, is still missing.