Teen Facing Charges After Hit & Run in Terrace Heights Thursday - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Teen Facing Charges After Hit & Run in Terrace Heights Thursday

Posted: Updated:

YAKIMA, WA - A 17-year-old boy is facing several charges after Yakima County Sheriff's deputies say he hit a power pole Thursday night and left the scene. Here is the press release from the sheriff's office:

On 7/3/2014, shortly after 2200 hrs, deputies were dispatched to a report of a vehicle vs. power pole collision in the area of the 600 block of Butterfield Rd, in the Terrace Heights area.  There were several individual callers who reported hearing the collision, and there was a subsequent power outage that affected a large portion in of the western area of Terrace Heights.

Deputies arrived and located the pole that had been struck, and the related damage that caused the power outage.  The suspect vehicle had fled prior to their arrival.  Witness(es) described the damage to the vehicle, including that it possibly had a flat tire.  The fleeing vehicle, a dark colored passenger car, was reportedly last seen headed in the direction of Hartford Rd.  A YCSO deputy located tire prints in the area consistent with a vehicle being driven with a flat tire and followed them to a residence in the 1800 block of Hartford Rd.  There he located a vehicle with fresh collision damage.  The vehicle was surrounded by several people.

Upon seeing the deputy, two males fled on foot.  The deputy gave chase, and caught a 17 y/o male and took him into custody.  This male initially denied being involved, but was subsequently determined to be the driver after further investigation.  He was taken into custody, and booked into the juvenile detention facility on charges including Hit and Run and Obstructing.

Several other individuals were detained by assisting deputies, and the investigation is continuing into possible charges of obstruction/false information.

The fleeing vehicle, a 1992 Toyota Camry 4-door was impounded from the residence where it was contacted.

There is no damage estimate as yet from PP&L