House Fire Displaces Yakima Family - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

House Fire Displaces Yakima Family

Posted: Updated:
YAKIMA, WA - Yakima firefighters say an extension cord connecting the air conditioning unit to the receptacle caused about $50,000 worth of damage to a home on the 600 block of North 2nd Street. 

The Yakima Fire Department originally responded to a reported car fire at the home, but when crews got there the house was on fire and not a car. Firefighters found a bedroom on the main floor fully involved in fire. The fire extend into the attic through two ceiling enclosures. The fire was extinguished in approximately 40 minutes due to the involved attic space.

YFD said there were two children inside the home playing video games when they heard the smoke detector beeping. One of the kids went to the bedroom and noticed smoke emitting from the bedroom door. He opened the door and saw smoke and fire coming from the portable air conditioning unit mounted in the window. He immediately closed the door and assisted in getting his little brother out of the house. He then told his father and other brother outside whom then noticed flames coming from the same air conditioner on the exterior of the house. They then called 911.

34 firefighters responded to the call. 

There were 11 persons living in this foster home: 2 adults and 9 children. Three of the children were biological kids of the adults. The 6 foster kids were not at the house at the time of the fire. No persons or firefighters were injured from this fire. All occupants have been displaced because the home is not tenable until reconstruction is completed.
 

HD DOPPLER 6i
/