House without power catches fire due to candle - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

House without power catches fire due to candle

Posted: Updated:

KHQ.COM - There was heavy smoke hovering in the air this morning above Greenwood Avenue when firefighters responded to a structure fire at 5033 N. Greenwood around 3:30am.

According to neighbors, a man lived in the basement of the home and a couple lived on the upper level.

A neighbor who talked to the man who lived in the basement said the man thinks the fire started due to a candle that was left lit overnight because this neighborhood lost power yesterday at 4pm and is still without power this morning.

EMT's who responded to the fire said there were no serious injuries.

By 5am, the smoke had diminished significantly and an Avista truck arrived.

  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • Liberty Lake residents concerned by leak

    Liberty Lake residents concerned by leak

    Monday, September 15 2014 10:24 PM EDT2014-09-16 02:24:12 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - Liberty Lake residents who live along I-90 could only sit and wait for about 19 hours as agencies at a weigh station along I-90 worked to contain a chemical leak.Some of those residents told KHQ they weren't aware there'd been a leak that started around 1:30 Sunday afternoon until late that night when they turned on the news.More >>
    SPOKANE, Wash. - Liberty Lake residents who live along I-90 could only sit and wait for about 19 hours as agencies at a weigh station along I-90 worked to contain a chemical leak.Some of those residents told KHQ they weren't aware there'd been a leak that started around 1:30 Sunday afternoon until late that night when they turned on the news.More >>
  • Trucks with hazardous material common on I-90

    Trucks with hazardous material common on I-90

    Monday, September 15 2014 10:22 PM EDT2014-09-16 02:22:05 GMT
    COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - I-90 between Liberty Lake and Post Falls shut down for more about 19 hours while crews worked tirelessly on a chemical leak. Members with the Idaho State Police say situations like this don't happen very often, but trucks carrying hazardous material drive through Idaho and Washington everyday.More >>
    COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - I-90 between Liberty Lake and Post Falls shut down for more about 19 hours while crews worked tirelessly on a chemical leak. Members with the Idaho State Police say situations like this don't happen very often, but trucks carrying hazardous material drive through Idaho and Washington everyday.More >>
  • Kootenai County HAZMAT Crews say chemical leak in Idaho would be manageable

    Kootenai County HAZMAT Crews say chemical leak in Idaho would be manageable

    Monday, September 15 2014 10:09 PM EDT2014-09-16 02:09:17 GMT
    COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho -  HAZMAT specialist Barry Sherman with Kootenai County Fire and Rescue points at an electronic device in a big orange box, he says it uses thermal imagery to identify gases and vapors."I may not know what the chemical is, but this will tell me if it's toxic or it's corrosive so then I know how to handle it," says Sherman.More >>
    COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho -  HAZMAT specialist Barry Sherman with Kootenai County Fire and Rescue points at an electronic device in a big orange box, he says it uses thermal imagery to identify gases and vapors."I may not know what the chemical is, but this will tell me if it's toxic or it's corrosive so then I know how to handle it," says Sherman.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.