Neighbors Help to Save White Swan Woman After Home Catches Fire - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Neighbors Help to Save White Swan Woman After Home Catches Fire

Posted: Updated:
One White Swan woman is being treated for burns in Seattle after a fan caught fire in her home burning it to the ground. One White Swan woman is being treated for burns in Seattle after a fan caught fire in her home burning it to the ground.
UPDATE/WHITE SWAN , WAHarborview Medical Center in Seattle confirms that 71-year-old Linda Hart passed away from her injuries Tuesday night after her house caught fire in White Swan . Her sister Cheryl is in satisfactory condition and was able to be by her side when she passed away.


PREVIOUS: One White Swan woman is being treated for burns in Seattle after a fan caught fire in her home burning it to the ground. But it could have been much worse without the help of a lawn hose and some friendly neighbors. This is a scene that most people would run away from, but not Alex Thompson. 

"Basically the whole entire house was engulfed in flame," Alex Thompson said.

When Alex and his uncle saw the fire, they jumped into action, racing down the street to help. What they found was their neighbor lying passed out by the front door. They knew they had to act quickly. 

"It was too hot to get her so it took us two three tries to get her," Alex said. "And they ended up having to drag her. She was blistered, skin was peeling, it was just horrible."

They pulled the woman out who had second and third degree burns covering 90 percent of her body. Alex picked up the hose in a desperate attempt to cool the woman off and save what they could of the house. 

"The hose itself was hot," Alex said. "Just the metal bit on top was hot as well."

Firefighters say the fire started when the electrical wiring from a fan sparked a fire on the couch. The woman who lived in the house and her sister became trapped when the fire quickly spread. 

"What won't you forget about this experience?" we asked.

"The burns," Alex said. "Seeing everybody burn. There really isn't any way to forget about that."

Thanks to the courage of Alex and his uncle, a potentially deadly situation was avoided. 

"You got to help out always," Alex said. "Doesn't matter."

Now that is a neighbor we all wish we had. 

One woman was already taken in a helicopter to Seattle to treat her burns. Firefighters tell us that the other burn victim who was taken to a local hospital will probably also have to be taken by hospital to treat the severe extent of her burns. 

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.