2 Ebola victims to be treated at Atlanta hospital - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

2 Ebola victims to be treated at Atlanta hospital

Posted: Updated:

UPDATE: ATLANTA (AP) - Two American aid workers infected with the Ebola virus in Africa will be treated at a specialized unit of an Atlanta hospital.

Dr. Bruce Ribner said Friday the patients will receive care at Emory University Hospital. Ribner said he had no personal safety concerns over treating the patients of the dangerous disease.

Hospital officials did not identify the patients, citing confidentiality rules. They were previously identified as Dr. Kent Brantly and Nancy Writebol.

Ribner oversees the isolation unit. He says one of the patients was expected to arrive Monday, while a second was expected several days later.

The Pentagon's press secretary, Navy Rear Adm. John Kirby, said Friday that private-chartered aircraft will be arriving at Dobbins Air Reserve Base in metro Atlanta with the patients evacuated from Africa. Kirby did not have further details.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

$100 million response plan launching after 729 Ebola related deaths

CONAKRY, Guinea (AP) - Presidents from the West African countries hit by the Ebola outbreak are meeting with world health leaders to come up with ways to stop the spread of the deadly disease.
    
The World Health Organization said Friday it is launching a new joint $100 million response plan to the outbreak that has killed at least 729 people in four countries.
    
It is the largest recorded outbreak of Ebola in history, and has prompted fears the disease could spread beyond Africa's borders.
    
While direct physical contact with bodily fluids is needed for Ebola to spread, new cases are mounting in part because sick people are refusing to go to isolation centers in the affected countries.
    
The new response plan includes deploying hundreds more health workers to Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)



HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Neo-Nazi site sued for defamation, struggles to stay online

    Neo-Nazi site sued for defamation, struggles to stay online

    Wednesday, August 16 2017 6:51 PM EDT2017-08-16 22:51:26 GMT

    BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) - A Muslim-American radio host is accusing the publisher of a notorious neo-Nazi website of defaming him by falsely labeling him the "mastermind" of a deadly concert bombing in England, according to a federal lawsuit filed Wednesday

    More >>

    BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) - A Muslim-American radio host is accusing the publisher of a notorious neo-Nazi website of defaming him by falsely labeling him the "mastermind" of a deadly concert bombing in England, according to a federal lawsuit filed Wednesday

    More >>
  • Juvenile arrested in downtown Spokane shooting

    Juvenile arrested in downtown Spokane shooting

    Wednesday, August 16 2017 6:23 PM EDT2017-08-16 22:23:57 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane Police have arrested a juvenile in connection to a fatal shooting in downtown Spokane on Tuesday, according to our partners at The Spokesman Review.  The boy, whose name and age have not been released, is facing a charge of 2nd Degree Manslaughter.  Police believe the juvenile shot and killed a man inside a parked car near Washington and Spokane Falls Blvd.

    More >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane Police have arrested a juvenile in connection to a fatal shooting in downtown Spokane on Tuesday, according to our partners at The Spokesman Review.  The boy, whose name and age have not been released, is facing a charge of 2nd Degree Manslaughter.  Police believe the juvenile shot and killed a man inside a parked car near Washington and Spokane Falls Blvd.

    More >>
  • NYPD: Teen chokes mom's ex-boyfriend to death after seeing him beat her

    NYPD: Teen chokes mom's ex-boyfriend to death after seeing him beat her

    Wednesday, August 16 2017 6:22 PM EDT2017-08-16 22:22:37 GMT

    NEW YORK - An 18-year-old New York boy has been charged after police say he choked his mom's ex-boyfriend to death after witnessing the man beat her. Luis Moux has been charged with manslaughter. Police say the mother's ex-boyfriend showed up at the family apartment to speak to the boy's mother and the two began arguing in the hallway. 

    More >>

    NEW YORK - An 18-year-old New York boy has been charged after police say he choked his mom's ex-boyfriend to death after witnessing the man beat her. Luis Moux has been charged with manslaughter. Police say the mother's ex-boyfriend showed up at the family apartment to speak to the boy's mother and the two began arguing in the hallway. 

    More >>