Teen suspect in 6-year-old's death due in court - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Teen suspect in 6-year-old's death due in court

Posted: Updated:
  • Teen suspect in 6-year-old's death due in courtMore>>

  • Dad of slain girl: I've already forgiven suspect

    Dad of slain girl: I've already forgiven suspect

    Wednesday, August 13 2014 1:59 PM EDT2014-08-13 17:59:55 GMT
    BREMERTON, Wash. (AP) - The father of a slain 6-year-old Washington state girl says he forgives the 17-year-old neighbor suspected of killing and raping his daughter. James Wright tells the Kitsap Sun Gabriel Gaeta "chose wrong" but that "I've already forgiven him." Gaeta is being held in lieu of $1 million bail on investigation of first-degree murder and rape of a child.More >>
    BREMERTON, Wash. (AP) - The father of a slain 6-year-old Washington state girl says he forgives the 17-year-old neighbor suspected of killing and raping his daughter. James Wright tells the Kitsap Sun Gabriel Gaeta "chose wrong" but that "I've already forgiven him." Gaeta is being held in lieu of $1 million bail on investigation of first-degree murder and rape of a child.
    More >>
  • UPDATE: Several hundred attend vigil for slain girl, 6

    UPDATE: Several hundred attend vigil for slain girl, 6

    Saturday, August 9 2014 5:16 PM EDT2014-08-09 21:16:26 GMT
    UPDATE: SEATTLE (AP) - A four-day search for a missing 6-year-old Washington girl ended tragically Thursday, as authorities say they believe they have found the body of Jenise Wright.Authorities in Kitsap County say it's a criminal investigation, and they're trying to narrow in on a suspect.More >>
    UPDATE: SEATTLE (AP) - A four-day search for a missing 6-year-old Washington girl ended tragically Thursday, as authorities say they believe they have found the body of Jenise Wright.Authorities in Kitsap County say it's a criminal investigation, and they're trying to narrow in on a suspect.
    More >>
UPDATE: BREMERTON, Wash. (AP) - A 17-year-old boy arrested in the death and sexual assault of a 6-year-old Washington state girl is due in court Monday.

Authorities still haven't released the name of the suspect, who was arrested Saturday in the Bremerton-area mobile home park from which Jenise Wright had disappeared a week earlier.

He was booked for investigation of second-degree murder, manslaughter and rape, and was scheduled to make an initial appearance at 3 p.m. in Kitsap County District Court.

Authorities said forensic evidence analyzed by the Washington state crime lab linked him to the crime. Earlier in the week, the sheriff's office collected DNA cheek swabs from dozens of nearby residents.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

PREVIOUS COVERAGE:

BREMERTON, Wash. (AP) - Authorities say a 17-year-old has been arrested in the death and sexual assault of a 6-year-old girl whose body was found near the mobile home park she vanished from last weekend.

Kitsap County sheriff's Detective Earl Smith said at a news conference Saturday afternoon that deputies and FBI agents arrested the boy at his home without incident.

The teen lived in the same Bremerton-area mobile home park as the girl. Smith says the boy is being interviewed and will be booked on suspicion of second-degree murder, manslaughter and rape.

The state crime lab made positive confirmation of the suspect through forensic evidence.

The sheriff's office said Friday that it was collecting DNA cheek swabs from dozens of residents who volunteered them in the mobile home park.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Man pleads no contest in horrific abuse of boy who lost toes after being bound in closet for weeks

    Man pleads no contest in horrific abuse of boy who lost toes after being bound in closet for weeks

    Tuesday, May 22 2018 12:41 PM EDT2018-05-22 16:41:53 GMT

    BATTLE CREEK, Mich. (AP) - A 36-year-old man has pleaded no contest in the abuse of a 4-year-old Michigan boy who was locked in a closet for weeks, had lost several toes to gangrene and was near death when doctors examined him.   The Battle Creek Enquirer reports that Isaac Miller's sentencing is July 2. Miller appeared Monday in a Calhoun County court.

    More >>

    BATTLE CREEK, Mich. (AP) - A 36-year-old man has pleaded no contest in the abuse of a 4-year-old Michigan boy who was locked in a closet for weeks, had lost several toes to gangrene and was near death when doctors examined him.   The Battle Creek Enquirer reports that Isaac Miller's sentencing is July 2. Miller appeared Monday in a Calhoun County court.

    More >>
  • South Carolina grocery censors graduation cake inscription

    Tuesday, May 22 2018 12:37 PM EDT2018-05-22 16:37:50 GMT
    Facebook/Cara KoscinskiFacebook/Cara Koscinski
    Facebook/Cara KoscinskiFacebook/Cara Koscinski

    CHARLESTON, S.C. - A South Carolina woman isn't happy a grocery store censored her honor graduate son's cake, which was supposed to include the Latin phrase "Summa Cum Laude."  Cara Koscinski told The Washington Post a cake online from Publix that was supposed to say "Congrats Jacob! Summa Cum Laude class of 2018." 

    More >>

    CHARLESTON, S.C. - A South Carolina woman isn't happy a grocery store censored her honor graduate son's cake, which was supposed to include the Latin phrase "Summa Cum Laude."  Cara Koscinski told The Washington Post a cake online from Publix that was supposed to say "Congrats Jacob! Summa Cum Laude class of 2018." 

    More >>
  • Police say man beat dog because it ate his Whopper

    Police say man beat dog because it ate his Whopper

    Tuesday, May 22 2018 12:32 PM EDT2018-05-22 16:32:45 GMT

    DARTMOUTH, Mass. - Prosecutors say a Massachusetts man hit his dog in the head with a baseball bat because he was angry the animal ate his Burger King Whopper sandwich. Gregory Ostiguy was held on $5,000 bail after pleading not guilty Monday to animal cruelty. Officers responded to a Dartmouth street at around 7 p.m. Friday after witnesses reported seeing a man hitting and screaming at a dog in his car.  

    More >>

    DARTMOUTH, Mass. - Prosecutors say a Massachusetts man hit his dog in the head with a baseball bat because he was angry the animal ate his Burger King Whopper sandwich. Gregory Ostiguy was held on $5,000 bail after pleading not guilty Monday to animal cruelty. Officers responded to a Dartmouth street at around 7 p.m. Friday after witnesses reported seeing a man hitting and screaming at a dog in his car.  

    More >>