Doctor: No health risk from 2 US Ebola patients - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Doctor: No health risk from 2 US Ebola patients

Posted: Updated:
Officials announced the release of Dr. Kent Brantly (Pictured) and Nancy Writebol on Thursday. Officials announced the release of Dr. Kent Brantly (Pictured) and Nancy Writebol on Thursday.
ATLANTA, GA - ATLANTA (AP) - A doctor at the hospital that treated two American aid workers who were infected with the deadly Ebola virus in Africa says their discharge poses no public health risk.

Officials announced the release of Dr. Kent Brantly and Nancy Writebol on Thursday. Brantly left Emory University Hospital on Thursday. Writebol left Tuesday. Family and officials say they're free of the virus. Writebol's husband says she left privately in a weakened condition to recuperate at an undisclosed location.

They were at the hospital nearly three weeks.

Dr. Bruce Ribner, medical director of the infectious disease unit at the hospital, said at a news conference that their release did not pose a public health risk.

At the news conference, Brantly said it is "a miraculous day."

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Second suspect arrested in connection to Moses Lake park shooting

    Second suspect arrested in connection to Moses Lake park shooting

    Monday, January 22 2018 12:39 AM EST2018-01-22 05:39:19 GMT

    MOSES LAKE, Wash. - Moses Lake Police say they have arrested a second suspect in connection to a shooting that left a teenager critically injured last week. Police say a 17-year-old male was arrested Sunday morning. The teenager was not identified because he is a juvenile. Police say an 18-year-old victim was shot in the chest last Sunday and taken by private vehicle to the hospital.

    More >>

    MOSES LAKE, Wash. - Moses Lake Police say they have arrested a second suspect in connection to a shooting that left a teenager critically injured last week. Police say a 17-year-old male was arrested Sunday morning. The teenager was not identified because he is a juvenile. Police say an 18-year-old victim was shot in the chest last Sunday and taken by private vehicle to the hospital.

    More >>
  • Women's Persistence March draws large crowd to downtown Spokane

    Women's Persistence March draws large crowd to downtown Spokane

    Sunday, January 21 2018 9:10 PM EST2018-01-22 02:10:12 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Thousands marched through the streets of downtown Spokane for the Women’s Persistence March and Rally. Everyone had a reason why they’re marching. It’s a part of a nationwide event this weekend, as people across the country marched to support women’s rights, civil rights, racial equality, and justice. One woman KHQ spoke with says she was marching to spread the message of standing up for one another and being there for one ano...

    More >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Thousands marched through the streets of downtown Spokane for the Women’s Persistence March and Rally. Everyone had a reason why they’re marching. It’s a part of a nationwide event this weekend, as people across the country marched to support women’s rights, civil rights, racial equality, and justice. One woman KHQ spoke with says she was marching to spread the message of standing up for one another and being there for one ano...

    More >>
  • No Texas probes involving California torture suspects

    No Texas probes involving California torture suspects

    Sunday, January 21 2018 7:04 PM EST2018-01-22 00:04:57 GMT

    RIO VISTA, Texas (AP) - An official in Texas says authorities there had no reports involving the couple charged in California with shackling and starving 12 of their 13 children.    David and Louise Turpin have pleaded not guilty in Riverside County, California, to multiple counts of torture, child abuse and false imprisonment. The couple moved to California from near Fort Worth, Texas, in 2011.

    More >>

    RIO VISTA, Texas (AP) - An official in Texas says authorities there had no reports involving the couple charged in California with shackling and starving 12 of their 13 children.    David and Louise Turpin have pleaded not guilty in Riverside County, California, to multiple counts of torture, child abuse and false imprisonment. The couple moved to California from near Fort Worth, Texas, in 2011.

    More >>