Two Suspects to Serve Decades, Two Walk Free in Murder of Yakima - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Two Suspects to Serve Decades, Two Walk Free in Murder of Yakima Real Estate Broker

Posted: Updated:
YAKIMA, WA. -- A judge wrapped up the case of the murder of Yakima real estate broker Vern Holbrook Thursday. 

There was one last emotional day in court for the family of Vern Holbrook. Thursday morning, a judge decided how much time Daniel Blizzard, Luis Gomez-Monges and Adriana Mendez will serve for brutally attacking Holbrook in May of last year. But one of the suspects will now walk free.

Thursday morning, three accomplices in the murder of Vern Holbrook sat in the same room awaiting separate sentences. Daniel Blizzard, Luis Gomez-Monges, Adriana Mendez and the rest of the court heard from Holbrook's family first, including his granddaughter and his son.

"Your honor," Vern's granddaughter Kallie Taeten said. "I ask you that you give his family his friends, his colleagues and each and every life that he touched, a sense of peace that justice is served."

"They took away life, they deserve life," Vern's son Terry Holbrook.

Pictures of 79-year-old Holbrook were shown as family members cried. Then Judge Ruth Reukauf excused Gomez-Monges and Mendez. Judge Reukauf sentenced Blizzard to 34 and a half years in prison. She explained that the sentence was limited due to sentencing standards set by state law.

Blizzard declined to speak before the court and his lawyer filed papers to appeal the case at the sentencing. Next was the hitman, Luis Gomez-Monges. Monges spoke through an interpreter on his behalf. 

"I know that anything I say is not going to calm the suffering of the family for this gentlemen," Monges said.

The judge gave Gomez-Monges just under 27 years in prison. Finally, Adriana Mendez stood before the judge.

"I want to apologize for my actions," Mendez said. "For not being more mature and not thinking about my kids at the time."

Judge Reukauf sentenced Mendez to be released on time served after she entered a guilty plea in exchange for her testimony.

Noticeably absent from that sentencing is Jill Taylor, Vern's former daughter-in-law who allegedly helped plan the hit. She has been released on time served for her testimony. 

So now two suspects will go to jail for decades, and two others will walk free.