Carbon Monoxide Detectors Could Save Families from Carbon Monoxi - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Carbon Monoxide Detectors Could Save Families from Carbon Monoxide, the Silent Killer

Posted: Updated:
Firefighters said they believe majority of the homes in Kennewick do not have carbon monoxide detectors. Firefighters said they believe majority of the homes in Kennewick do not have carbon monoxide detectors.
KENNEWICK,WA- After a carbon monoxide scare on Thursday, the Kennewick Fire Department wants to get the word out about the dangers of carbon monoxide.

The fire department said everyone should have a carbon monoxide detector in their homes, just like they have a smoke detector, because it is just as important.

Surprisingly, the fire department said they believe most homes do not have the carbon monoxide detectors.

Although these calls do not happen often for the department, they still want everyone to be safe and be informed about this silent killer.

The family saved on Thursday made it out just in time.  They were feeling lightheaded, dizziness, and nauseous.

Firefighters said carbon monoxide can really only be detected by a detector.

"You're not going to know that it's even present without the detector.  They're highly recommended and they're not extremely expensive.  It really needs to be like the smoke detector, installed in every single home and the batteries changed every time you change your smoke detector batteries,” said Captain Tim Harkins, Kennewick Fire Department.

The fire department has special devices for every time they enter a home that can detect just how high the carbon monoxide levels are.

Carbon monoxide detectors can be purchased at just about any local home improvement store.
HD DOPPLER 6i
/