Man Smashed Between Two Semi Trucks Lives to Tell the Story - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Man Smashed Between Two Semi Trucks Lives to Tell the Story

Posted: Updated:
Crash survivor, Kaleb Whitby, was stuck in between two semi trucks when the crash happened. Crash survivor, Kaleb Whitby, was stuck in between two semi trucks when the crash happened.
MESA, WA- 27-year-old Kaleb Whitby's pickup truck was smashed between two semi-trucks over the weekend and he lived to tell the story, with only a few scratches and bruises.

It was a story that made headlines across the country, and in some cases, around the world.  The man behind it actually lives in the Mid-Columbia.

Kaleb Whitby's Chevy Silverado Extended Cab pickup was basically smashed into a cube.   Amazingly, he came out of it with only a few scrapes and bruises and lived to tell his story.

It was another foggy day when Kaleb Whitby was on his way to Idaho Saturday morning.  He was near Baker City, Oregon, but the fog got thicker.

"It seemed the more we climbed, the more fog we saw.  It got to a point where I tried to pass a couple of semis because they were slowing down, but as I got further down the road, I didn't know what was ahead,” said Whitby.

Then the truck in front of his, swerved, and took up all the lanes in front of him.

That was when Whitby got worried.

"My heart sunk.  What do you think when all of a sudden everything's blocked," said Whitby.  "Then one or two seconds after, I could see out of my passenger window that a truck was coming down on me."

It all happened so fast and all he could do was pray.

"All I could do was close my eyes, say a prayer, and hold on to that wheel as tight as I could," said Whitby.

His mind was busy with all sorts of thoughts while it was happening.

"Is this it? Will this be it? So I just prayed that hopefully this wasn't my time.  Please help me, and please keep me safe.  Don't let it take me," said Whitby.

The two semi-trucks smashed his pickup leaving only a pocket of room for Whitby's driver's seat.

"I couldn't reach to my passenger side, I couldn't reach behind me, and I couldn't even reach forward because everything had been pushed in and down," said Whitby.

Whitby used his pocketknife to cut his seatbelt off.  It took 30 minutes for him to get help and slide out an opening in his truck and he ran as soon as his feet hit the ground. 

People could not believe he was still alive.

"They kept asking, where is the guy in the truck.  I would raise my hands and jaws would just drop because they didn't think that I would be able to get out," said Whitby.

 He got up to help others for the next couple of hours.

"When it comes to that, you don't think about yourself, you think about what you can do to get out and protect yourself and then help those who are in that same situation," said Whitby.

 He also believed this accident served as a purpose, but he is still searching for that answer.  He is just embracing this miracle and grateful to be alive.

"If I would've had a broken arm, it would've been a miracle. If I would've had broken legs, it would've been a miracle.  I'm just glad I was able to get out with everything I went into it with," said Whitby.

All he could think about what that this incident was a miracle.

"It was a miracle and that I lived through it and lived through stuff that people don't live through a lot of the times."

The only injuries Whitby suffered was a bruised eye and scratches on his fingers.  After the attention, he hopes to return back to his life on the farm.