Mabton Family Recovers After Wood Stove Starts House Fire - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Mabton Family Recovers After Wood Stove Starts House Fire

Posted: Updated:
A Mabton family is now staying with other family members after a fire broke out in their home. A Mabton family is now staying with other family members after a fire broke out in their home.
MABTON,WA-- A Mabton family is now staying with other family members after a fire broke out in their home Wednesday night. The Yakima County Fire Department got a call from the people living in the house about smoke coming out of the attic of their home on the 1700 block of High School Road.

When firefighters first got to the scene, they saw the smoke coming out of both ends of the building.

The occupants told firefighters they were burning wood in a wood stove when they first noticed the smoke creeping out of the attic.

Firefighters said the flames only reached to the wall that divided the living room and bedrooms and also made their way to the attic. 

They also said the fire started due to an improperly installed wood stovepipe.  The pipe overheated the surrounding wood to the point of combustion causing the fire in the wall that eventually extended into a small section of the attic space. 

Firefighters were able to find the flames and put them out just after midnight.
HD DOPPLER 6i
/