Yakima Man Pulls Friend From Burning Building - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Yakima Man Pulls Friend From Burning Building

Posted: Updated:
YAKIMA, WA. -- A scary house fire Monday morning could have turned deadly if it wasn't for one man's heroic actions. We talked to the man who helped pull his handicapped friend from the flames.


Firefighters believe the fire originated in the area of the fireplace. Two men were injured in the fire. One was flown to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle and was listed in critical but stable condition Monday night. No one died in this quick moving fire, and that's partially thanks to what one man did to save his friend's life. 


Firefighters scramble to knock down huge flames coming from a fully engulfed house on South 7th Street. Just moments before this, a man was pulled from the burning building but not by a firefighter. 


"It was hot in there," David Siebol said. "Flames were coming out of the window at the time."


David Siebol was living in a trailer in the backyard when he awoke to flames and smoke surrounding him. He rushed through the side yard to get to safety, but that's when he heard his handicapped friend screaming for help inside. 


"He didn't have long," David said. "He only has one leg so we broke the window. I pulled him out head first. Flames were coming out of the window while he was being pulled out at that time."


Two men were taken to the hospital for injuries from the fire. Without David's quick actions, it could have been much worse. 


"Because I had to," David said. "Anybody would have. You know what i mean? It's what you do, you help people get out. Can't leave him in there."


There isn't exactly a happy ending to this story. David and several others have now lost their home. 


"It's no good," David said. "I don't have nowhere to go. Neither do they I don't think. It was my home. It's not anymore."


Despite the danger David faced, he says there's no doubt he would do what he did Monday morning all over again. 


"I did what I had to," David said. "I don't know. Anybody would have done it, you know what I mean?"


The house is a complete loss. The flames were so large that it jumped to the house next door before firefighters could get it under control. That home also has some serious damage. Firefighters say the home is a complete loss and will be demolished later this week. 

HD DOPPLER 6i
/